3.01.2008

Tagged, you're it.

I've never been much for chain letters or any sort of 'pass-it-along' type endeavor, but this isn't threatening to kill me or ruin my life, so I'll do it. Also, Lynette told me too and I can't let her down. I mean, we cohosted 'Powdered Toast of the Town' on KDCS. That kind of bond can't be broken or denied.

Here's the game I'm apparently playing:
123 Meme Rules: (1) Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. No cheating! (2) Turn to page 123. (3) Find the first 5 sentences. (4) Post the next 3 sentences. (5) Tag 5 people.

As you can see by the accompanying picture, I'm in a bit of a Klosterman phase at the moment. So this is from Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas.

"
Bats Day began in 1998. At the time, it was just an excuse to be weird. A few regulars from Hollywood goth clubs like Helter Skelter and Perversion decided to drop acid and walk around Disneyland on a summer afternoon."

A strangely coherent set of sentences from an excellent article.

I'll tag my brother, Matt Larsen, Scott, Tara and Emeric, just because I want to see what kind of boring legal crap he'll have to write.

Hooray for silly Internet games that lead to easy blog posts!

2 comments:

lynette said...

good work, tim. jon and i were sorting through loads of photos today and i found one of me in the kdcs studio, headphones on, mic to my mouth, smiling. those were good times.

Scott said...

How dare you sir? How dare you.

However, since it literally (no cheating) is the nearest book and it further establishes my geek cred, here you go:

From Cryptonomicon, page 123

"The don turns to the others and says, donnishly, 'Information Theory would inform a mechanical calculator in much the same way as, say, fluid dynamics would inform the hull of a ship.' Then he turns back to Waterhouse and says, somewhat less formally: 'Dr. Turing has continued to develop his work on the subject since he vanished, from your point of view, into the realm of the Classified. Of particular interest has been the subject of just how much information can be extracted from seemingly random data.'"

Poignant. Because, after all, that's what we're trying to do here. Extract information from seemingly random passages, no?

And since the two books were technically equidistant from me (and you probably think that's a crap passage) the next nearest book was 'Notes from a Small Island' by Bill Bryson, which says on arcade games:

"If by some miracle I manage to surmount these two obstacles, I invariably fail to recogonize that hte game has come to life and that I am wasting precious seconds feeling in remote coin-return slots and searching for a button that says START. Then I have thirty confused seconds of being immersed in some frantic mayhem without having the faintest idea what's going on, while my children shout, 'You've just blown up Princess Leia, you stupid shit!' and then it says 'Game Over.'"

I couldn't decide, so I didn't. Deal with it.

- Scott