9.24.2008

They just know

From Istanbul, Turkey I 18.09.08
In Istanbul, they have fortune-telling rabbits.

This is not something I expected to see on my travels but am nonetheless pleasantly surprised.

This nice man will charge you 2 lira and then hold a wooden block with several small pieces of paper sticking out of it in front of one of the rabbits. The rabbit then picks up one of the pieces and deposits it in the man's hand. This is your fortune, chosen and foretold by a rabbit.

It then says, in very broken English, things like "You should not prayer to your God" and "You will win much money in the lottery." I'll look up my actual one and post it later. But I feel pretty good about what the rabbit foretold.

P.S. Hi from a bowling alley in Iraklion on the island of Crete. Again, it doesn't make much sense to me either, but they have free wi-fi, cheap bowling and good milkshakes. Feels a little like home.

P.P.S. Coming up next, pyramids!

No comments: