12.17.2008

It's really tracking well

I'm getting used to some of the changes that have happened around here while I was gone. The new CTA Bus Tracker was just getting off the ground as I was leaving and since I primarily used the El back then, I really had no use for it. Now that my destinations are slightly more varied, I've enjoyed trying it out.

Basically, through any computer or "web-enabled mobile device," you enter where you are and which way you're headed and they'll tell you when the next bus will be along. It only works for certain bus lines currently, probably because putting that information up for the 22 Clark bus would involve a branch of hyper-mathematics that hasn't been invented yet.

The upside of this is that when it's really cold in Chicago (i.e. now until late April), you can use the Bus Tracker to time your departure to spend as little time in the cold as possible. I tried it the other day as I was headed to the 8 Halsted bus.

Initial verdict: It has completely revolutionized the way I barely miss buses.

2 comments:

lynette said...

we have this in portland, too. they call it the transit tracker. i use it, but i don't quite trust it. i just started taking the bus and though i know it will arrive in 9 minutes and the walk to the bus stop is 1 minute I still head out in a rush at 8 minutes.

cu zambetu' pe buze said...

i find it interesting....