10.15.2007

There's got to be a drinking establishment called The Space Bar, right?

I've been trying to break a bad habit recently.

It's nothing scandalous. It's not gambling or drinking or even cracking my knuckles. I don't think I'll ever stop doing any of those things. I have written proof from 3rd-5th grade that my New Year's Resolution was to stop cracking my knuckles. If the sheer willpower of a 4th grader couldn't do it, I doubt it'll ever happen. In fact, it's gotten worse. I now pop my knees. I will be in a wheelchair by the age of 38.

No, this is a simple typing habit, one that I've been doing ever since I learned the skill from Mavis Beacon. I hit the space bar twice after every period. But according to a book by some writer who is not Mork,this is incorrect.

It is not the most amazing of differences. It is the difference between this. And this*. You see my point.

Really, I wouldn't even bother except that it occasionally does mess with layout, but mostly with GChat and away messages. And that stuff is important. So I am breaking it as we speak.

It should be noted that Lynette told me about this years ago and I am just now heeding her words. I hope you're happy, Lynette.


* After posting a couple times and editing, I have realized that Blogger will automatically edit my double-spacebar-hitting into one. So what the heck was the point of me trying.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you buy an apple????

keri

Wandering Explorer said...

According to the Blue Book(A Uniform System of Citation): Each sentence should be seperated from the last by two spaces. Citations should only be seperated from the sentence they follow by one space.

So unless you're doing a lot of blue book citations, two spaces are appropriate.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Don't get your hopes up, Keri. It's my work computer.

Emeric, I'm invoking my right to avoid cognitive dissonance and ignoring you, on the basis that you are needlessly complicating the issue.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Also, the Blue Book is for legal citations.

And last I checked, I don't really write those.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh. I can't BELIEVE you've been typing two spaces for so long! That's ridiculous. As I'm sure Lynette informed you, it wastes so much space on paper. Highly valuable space.

Other than that, you're a really great guy, Tim. :)

lynette said...

using two spaces after a sentence is so high school, tim. as i'm sure i told you our freshman year of college. in fact, i'm pretty sure typing two spaces is so sophomore year of high school. now when i see two spaces i'm appalled and think, "was no one around to teach these people a specifically journalistic way of typing? sheesh."

Jon said...

I don't care what Lynette or the world says, there should be two spaces between sentences. I've been doing it since I could type (I'll estimate that my first computer typing instruction in school was 4th grade, which equals 10 yrs old.) That's 20 years of double space bar hitting in between sentences and not once have I been ridiculed for excessive paper wasting.

Also, this new rule must have been started after I left college.

raph said...

two spaces. anyone who says otherwise is rong. r-o-n-g rong. including blogspot for "fixing" it.