11.13.2007

Why We Fight


As I am tangentially connected* to the entertainment industry, a couple of family members have asked me what this Writer's strike is all about. Here it is, in simple terms. It's about getting compensated fairly for your work, regardless of the medium.

It's a tough pill to swallow, knowing that this Thursday will be the last new episode of The Office for a while, maybe for the season. But the cause is just.

I proudly support the Writers Guild of America.


*Connected is in the loosest possible of meanings here. If the entertainment industry were playing in Wrigley Field, I would be trying to peer through the fence at Fenway**.

**No, I don't know why the entertainment industry is playing baseball in my analogy. Let's just be proud that I know something about baseball and move on.

2 comments:

Kyle Lobner said...

Thanks for posting the video. I now feel much more informed about the issue, and better understand the strike.

Tangentially, though, I had an idiot moment while watching it. I thought, "Wow, this is really well produced and informative." Then I remembered that the people who wrote it are professionals.

Anonymous said...

3 words timmy: new post please.
I even said please :)