12.15.2005

The Apartment of Awesome

Life is never boring in this apartment. Of this I am certain. Living with improvisers is a unique experience. When I tell people I live with comedians, they immediately think that it must be the most hilarious place ever. Josh especially has in his head this idea of one person coming into the kitchen to make breakfast, then a second enters and immediately feels like they have to make breakfast in a funnier way, and it escalates until people are just doing pratfalls all over the place.

This is generally not the case.

However, we do have some fun times. And since the makeup of the place is changing slightly (we just had our subletter move out, which leaves Tara, Jon, Niles the Cat and me), I thought this might be a good time to summarize recent adventures.
  • On Sunday, Niles ate about 3/4 of a turkey burger I had thawing in the sink. It was in a Ziploc bag (open, admittedly), but apparently, this will not stop an aggressive cat from obtaining his treasure. He appeared to be a tad lethargic and in mild discomfort afterwards, but nothing more came of it. I thought Tara might be upset, but she rationalized it by saying, and I quote, "Well, tigers eat raw meat."

  • A new cell phone purchase by Tara led to a group discussion and Show & Tell of ringtones. Many were utterly ridiculous, including T-Mobile's "Ta-Da," which is simply a tone repeated twice. It is the least Ta-Da-ish sound ever. But taking the trophy had to be Jon's "Fab Farm," which, and I am not making this up, features a rooster clucking in a funky beat.

  • I was a little worried about living with a cat because I've had allergic reactions to them in the past, but I think I've acclimated. Niles hardly ever makes me sneezy anymore, but if he ever gets his claws in me, my skin gets kind of red and burny. I prefer to think of Niles as having poison-tipped claws. It's much cooler that way.

  • If he ever discovers you did stand-up, Jon will pester you to do your act. If you refuse, he will start performing the most generic and stereotypical stand-up bits you've ever heard. And he will continue doing so for 10 minutes.

  • This made Tara think about getting back into stand-up, but only for one bit - honest comedy. In doing this honest comedy, she would constantly correct herself and explain various comedy techniques as she used them. "So I was driving down I-80 to get to Des Moines today...actually, I flew into town. I only say that to make myself seem like I know the area, thereby making you think I'm approachable and more like one of you, rather than some outsider. Anyway, I was driving..." Just like that, but for THE ENTIRE SET. Come on, you know that would be a funny bit.

  • The other night, Tara, Jon and I stayed up way too late singing TV theme songs in the living room. Why? No reason, except to discover that Tara does a killer impression of Louie the Lightning Bug (who sounds a lot like the guy who sang "Conjunction Junction." She can do that too. It's hilarious.)
In short, thanks for being awesome, apartment. And don't forget to be cool with cords, my friends. You got to be cool with cords!

P.S. Anyone been watching Comedy Central recently? They're doing a series of station promos about an elf who's interning with Santa. Playing the part of the elf is none other than Mr. Kyle Cease. I opened for him at Drake. Remember that?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you come back and edit this message...like add the PS at the bottom and such beause i read this entry already and i don't remember that being there the first time....i must be losing it.

Scott said...

He did indeed. Twas a fair post Timmy. Although you're completely forgetting about the cookie jar. You can't post specifically about your apartment and not go into the racist cookie jar issue. That's like talking about me and fogetting to mention that I'm not only rich, but charming!

Also you forgot to mention that Niles will occasionally ninja attack you if you're sleeping in the living room. Guests of Tim, beware.

- Scott

Anonymous said...

scotty- i may be opening a pandora's box here, but i just wanted to say that i find you to be super amusing ...almost as funny as our dear tim...

Scott said...

Pandora's box remains firmly closed. But thanks. Also, who are you? A beautiful woman perhaps?

- Scott

Timmy Tapeworm said...

How dare you, anonymous. How dare you. Show thyself.

And yes, I did edit the post after I thought of a couple more things. There were no comments, so I just assume no one's read it. Probably not true, but it's your own fault for not commenting.

Anonymous said...

sorry tim....i didnt realize i made myself anonymous...my bad...c'est moi, jess AKA allyn's cousin....and just because there wasn't a comment immediately does not mean there wasn't going to be one...as napoleon would say, gosh. and i have a proposition for you mr ryder: i will comment when you answer my email...i mean, come on now...that is fair don't you think?

and as for scotty...glad to know that my comment had no effect on the condition of pandora's box...and yes, i do happen to be a woman...does that earn me brownie points or something?

Jake said...

using...unnecessary...ellipses...too...much...gives...me...headaches...

Also, Tim, these stories may pass as tomfoolery, but you could be engaging in some hilarious hijinx. You're better than this.

Scott said...

I see you've completed the trend. Nice map. It's about time you've got one, we've all had our since like 1995. Also, I'd like to make fun of one other similarity. The name you chose for your sidebar item. That was the original name of mine, minus the bleep. But I decided it wasn't clever enough. Hence "where's the cream fillin'?" because really, the audience IS the cream fillin'. I just wish you could respect yours the way I respect mine...

- Scott

Rob said...

Tim, know how I imagine your life with a bunch of comedians?? One day, out of spite, someone is going to buy a pocket laugh track player. And it will be really dumb, then funny, then irritating, then Almost funny again, and then you'll kill said person. All in the order, and the killing quite literal. That's what I picture.

Anonymous said...

so random question for you: not all who wander are lost...have you heard that album by chris thile or am i just pointing out a total coincidence?