3.20.2005

Hey, I think I've finally sold out!

I'm writing this entry from a Starbucks.

I shall now pause while my street cred, dignity and wallet all simultaneously shrivel away.

They say that necessity is the mother of invention, but in this case, necessity is the mother of selling-out. I'm currently in Chicago for the first few days of my spring break and I have limited options for Internet access. I'm crashing at a friend's place, so I suppose I could use his, but that involves a lengthy process of installing SBC Connection Manager software. And once you get that thing on your computer, it starts getting all uppity and thinks it should manage every connection you try to make. Honestly. So pretentious.

And it seems that everywhere I go, these places that promise wireless Internet make you pay for it. Stupid T-mobile hotspots. That was the only way I could get on at my hotel last night and now it's the only way you can use connect at Starbucks. So I finally caved and paid money. Stupid free-market economy. It's not a bad deal though - only $6 for a 60 minute session. Cheap way to kill time before I catch the Second City etc show tonight with a couple Drake friends.

I have a couple "interviews" this week. I guess that's what you would call them. Can't believe I'm doing "real world" stuff all of a sudden. Looking for jobs, thinking about apartments. So bogus. I feel like I'm definitely done with this whole "going to class" thing, but I don't know if I want to leave college. Pres. Maxwell has threatened to not sign my diploma. That doesn't sound so bad these days. I could hang out, take all the classes I've always wanted to take. Eh, probably time for a change of scene anyway. New mountains to climb and all that.

I caught a little of Fight Club on TV today and nodded along with Tyler Durden as he ranted about material possesions and consumerism. Then I bundled up my laptop, flipped on my iPod, and went to the El station. So now I'm a sellout and a hypocrite. But I'm a sellout and a hypocrite that's going to Florida in a couple days. I'm okay with that.

1 comment:

Scott said...

You know, if I were there I might be able to hack their little WEP key and get you in for free. Or else just wander around and find an open source.

Anyway, a while back I found a link (I think from collegehumor.com) to a really intriguing essay about Tyler Durden and the narrator sometimes called Jack actually being a grown up Calvin and Hobbes. Check it out here.

One more thing, and wow, I can't believe I'm ahead of the curve on this one. Let me bestow upon you my apartement wisdom:

1. If they ask for your Driver's License and a small deposit just to show you an apartment, turn around and run frantically from the building.

2. Yes, the hallway will always smell that way. Or some variation of it, in anycase the smell of two people cooking two different meals never combines to anything pleasant.

3. There's always a mooch in the complex, and at some point he will ask a favor. Sadly he has none of the charm of Kramer and all of the smell of a liquor store.

and finally,

4. NOTHING of importance will EVER fit in that tiny piece of crap mailbox. Seriously, you couldn't fit a urine sample in that thing. Just forget about leaving the house if you're expecting a package.

I hope this helps.


- Scott