1.09.2007

Arranged for pep band

I rearranged my room recently.

If this does not seem like huge news to you, then:
a) you're right
BUT
b) you don't know me all that well.

Inherently contradictory? False choices? Faulty logic? Perhaps perhaps perhaps. Then again, I have a bit of a cold, so my brain is quite fuzzy.

Let it be known that I am very much a creature of habit. When I find something that works well, or at least okay, I'm not inclined to change that without a good reason. Room arrangements are the height of this particular foible. In college, I would often keep the same arrangement all year, while my notoriously rearrangement-happy roommate would often change his side just because he was bored.

If you have never had the experience of coming back to your room after a 50-minute class to find the entire paradigm of your living arrangement shifted, I highly recommend it. I recall I found it invigorating, if a bit unsettling.

So for me to voluntarily change things for myself takes a great deal of inspiration. Not surprisingly, this inspiration came from my roommate td. After seeing how positively adult her room became just from moving her bed out of the corner (and away from the chilling outside wall), I found myself struck with the intense desire to become an adult as well.

This effort was only partially thwarted by my extra-long twin*.

Not even because of the arrangement options, but because I don't know many adults who still sleep in a twin. I think one of the things that makes an out-of-corner bed "adult" is the newfound accessibility from both sides, as if two people were going to enter it. But I'll tell you right now, if someone else was planning on entering my bed at the same time as me, they better be prepared for a balancing act not seen since the Flying Codonas**.

Anyway, it's fun, I like it, I can play video games from my bed now***.


*What if I wasn't referring to my bed here, but in fact to my twin sibling, who was in fact even more extra-long than I? Can you even imagine?

**Yes, a trapeze act. Perhaps not the best reference for a balancing act, but come on. Fuzzy brain.

*
**Which is helpful in the last level of Katamari Damacy. I mean, you have only 25 minutes in which to roll up the moon, people!

6 comments:

Jon said...

When I saw your bed like that, minicking td's, my first thought was, "oh no, now I have to do the same. I can't let a 23 yr old be more adult than me." Then I remembered that you were already more adult than me pre-moving of the bed.

I think once I actually clean my room I'll move my bed too. I was actually thinking about it before td moved hers. We got roomie group mind, we do.

Anonymous said...

Well, rearrangement is usually good. I was thinking just this past week how my room could really use one of those too. And just so you know, you can add one more adult to the twin bed ownership club....me.

Anonymous said...

Your sense of humor tells me you are feeling better. I think that chicken soup is working. Love, Mom

lynette said...

i was confused at the beginning because i could link room rearrangement to you and to college, but not specifically to you as a characteristic of you. this was because i left gill out of the equation. then things fit quite a bit better. what ever happened to that guy? also, jon and i and are fans of katamari, especially the japanese quirkiness of it all. also, do you own a wii yet? you should.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Gill actually sent me a text message wishing me a Merry Christmas. Last I heard, he was still at Drake? That guy...

The Japanese quirkiness of Katamari almost makes my head explode. And I love it.

I've played the Wii a little bit and enjoyed it, especially how horrible I am at Wii Golf. But video games are normally a solitary experience for me and the Wii seems like it would be kind of pathetic if played alone. I'm still pretty happy with my Guitar Hero, thanks.

Unknown said...

1) I thought you were talking about a very long sibling when you said 'extra long twin.' Yeah, I was confused. And I was about to ask "since when did you have an extra long twin sibling." To which your answer would have been either "I don't, idiot," or "since birth."

2) I saw Gill the other day. He's still in DSM, but not sure about Drake. Then again, he was always one of those people that I thought was a senior, and every year I would be like "wait, didn't you graduate last year?" But he would always be like "one more semester."