4.24.2007

Who wouldn't want to swing on a star, really.


I'm not entirely sure what to make of this one. I come to you, my friends of discerning and sharply-honed taste in all matters of popular culture.

Stardust is, ostensibly, a major motion picture. I can only assume that it will be released in theaters somewhere around the vicinity of August 10th.

You may now take a couple minutes to enjoy the trailer for said motion picture.

On the surface, it has many elements that seem to imply quality. It's based on a graphic novel
by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess. That's some solid geek cred right there. It has, if not a blockbuster main cast, at least some wonderful secondary casting: Ricky Gervais, as pretty much the same guy as always. And I think the world has waited quite long enough to see Robert DeNiro as a sky pirate, thank you. Plus, it's a magical world of fantasy and adventure. What more could you want?

Here then, are my questions:

1) Should we be excited?
2) If so, why aren't we excited yet?

I just happened to find this trailer during my weekly perusal of the Apple trailer site. This is not the sort of thing one should stumble upon whilst carousing about the Interwebs. That pleasure is reserved for things like Russian Ark (96-minute take, cooler in idea than in execution) or discovering that they made a sequel to Cube.

I know that August leaves a lot of time for a big marketing push, but still. For a movie that looks as expensive as this one does, you would think the name would come up from time to time. People have been talking about Transformers for some time now and we're just starting to get official trailers and whatnot.

Why then, has there been no mention of DeNiro as a sky pirate?

Perhaps people have been talking about Stardust and I merely assumed they were speaking of the Ziggy variety. If that is the case, I do not apologize. It is an excellent song.

14 comments:

Scott said...

Nessa and I were talking about this one the other day. Claire Danes is somewhat hit and miss in my opinion, and in this case... miss.

She looks like hell. In fact, most of the people in this movie look like they've been hit with serious ass-face-itis. Which is one of the worse itises.

It gets pretty bad when the cast's average appearance is brought up slightly by Peter O'Toole.

So are we excited? No. Not really. I'll see it because it's a Neil Gaiman flick, but what I'd be really excited for is American Gods or Good Omens in movie form.

- Scott

Scott said...

Also I've heard: NO FAERIE MARKET! That's right, the film is sans Faerie Market.

I don't know what this is, but it should be included. I feel very strongly about this.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Ah, the IMDB message boards. A never-ending source of wisdom for the weary moviegoer.

Rob said...

Scott will do that... find some tidbit of knowledge and pass it off as his own brain child. Like the infamous Breakfast Club Zip Code Incident of a few years back. Or the time he repeated only what he heard me say about a certain book to other people as if he read it.

He's tricky.

Rob said...

Oh yeah, and about that movie:

I'll watch it. Looks interesting. But is the whole movie about him cheating on Victoria with the alien? Cause at first he was like "I'd do anything for you..." Then he's all up in business with the Alien Chick.

Is it just me or is Victoria hotter before she comes down to meet him?

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me, Hypercube? I could have gone the rest of my life without knowing that they made Cube 2.
Carrie

Rob said...

Thank you Carrie...
Thank you.

I don't know what it is with Ryder boys and Cube...

Scott said...

Damn it! I knew I shouldn't have added the bit about the Faerie Market.

I dun blew ma cover!

Still, you wouldn't believe how much stuff I've bullshitted my way through with little to no actual knowledge of the topic at hand. I find being specific helps.

"We applied the cortical electrodes but were unable to get a neural reaction from either patient."

- Scott

Jon said...

Claire Danes' reaction to her being the shooting star is a lot like an improviser trying to accept a miscommunication in improv. Like during an improv scene she went out to be a shooting star and landed on stage and her scene partner was like "wait, your not a shooting star, you're a girl angel, right?" and then cut to Danes' reaction; it would be the same look.

That said, this movie looks bad. I can already tell that the plot is way too complicated. Simple stories make for the best movies.

I went from "didn't even know this movie was being made" to "I'll probably never see this movie." Even if the movie happens to be on Showtime and I've got nothing better to do, I'll probably still channel surf to find something better.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

You're all wrong, Rob. Carrie was the one who introduced us to the first Cube, which remains super awesome.

Cube 2 just got ridiculous.

Thanks for weighing in, Carrie! Good to have you here.

P.S. What's this Breakfast Club Zip Code incident?

Wandering Explorer said...

I'll be honest. I have no idea what the hell you people are talking about.

What I do know is that when I first saw the title, I was hoping this would be the long-awaited sequel to Showgirls.

That hope was raised once I heard Claire Daines was involved; and dashed when I heard it wasn't the sequel.

Anonymous said...

1. Better to the read the actual novel instead of the graphic novel when it comes to this book...really.

2. Boo the casting of the girls in this film. Don't get me wrong, I am as curious as the next person to see "Capt." Robert De Niro as well as people like Ricky Gervais, Rupert Everett and Ian McKellan getting some screen time, but the casting of the females follows the trend in Hollywood as of late; it sucks.

3. I think I have to agree with Scott and say I would be really excited about a film version of Good Omens. I would LOVE to that, but as a QUALITY film....that follows the book....unlike some stupid movies...like eragon...there's the rub.

4. What little hope I had for this movie has been lost over time as information has been made public. Will I see it? Probably...in the hopes that my cynicism is proven wrong for a change. that or to sit and make fun of it.

Rob said...

I was a little off, it wasn't that he tried posting a zip code, but a social security number. Basically I asked what town The Breakfast Club takes place in, and he responded with a flippant "Des Planes Illinois" which is sadly where the movie was filmed. Meaning? He tried to quickly Google it and pass it off as knowledge, but gave the wrong town. Here's your link.
its in the comments section.

Rob said...

I've decided to make one last comment because I don't want it to seem like a full attack on the marvel that is Scott Gresham. It should also be noted there have been a number of times when I'm quite sure he was doing similar tactics and I've watched... and its amazing how well he could pull it off. The formula seems to go something like: Cling to an obscure reference about something, and then when the conversation starts rolling, take an opposing viewpoint if at all possible to derive out of context. Otherwise just agree with the person speaking and use bigger words to help confuse.

It really is pure genius.