4.29.2008

Another one bites the dust...

I mean, it's not like all I do is walk around my neighborhood looking for depressing signs of gentrification and upper-class takeover. They're just really hard to avoid.

53 years! According to my calculations, that means Aiko's Art Materials opened in 1955. That's a Back to the Future year! (a designation that implies either pretty far in the past or just barely in the future.)

I always wish I knew more about why businesses close. Maybe it's their choice. Maybe the owners are retiring and they don't want anyone else to run it. Maybe the patriarch of the family passed away and the rebellious son didn't want to go into the family business. Or maybe they lost their lease.

I wonder if they thought way back in 1955 that it would end the way it did.

Of course, I also wonder if they thought they'd last 53 years.

2 comments:

Scott said...

I have nothing to add, except to wonder whether or not they had Dick Blick. A whole company and no one ever said "Hey guys, our name is ridiculous."

Though, to be fair, the company was probably made up of jaded Art History majors living out their Plan B, and just grateful to not be a barista... so, probably don't wanna rock that boat too much.

- Scott

P.S. Do you keep your camera with you at all times?
P.P.S. If so, is it in a fanny pack?
P.P.P.S. If so, is this fanny pack leather? I hope it's leather.

Jake said...

Where we're going we don't need art supply stores.