4.15.2008

All good things...




My run of Second City Conservatory shows ended last Monday the 7th. For those of you who might not know what exactly that means, I'll tell you.

For a little over the past year, I've been a student in the Conservatory, Second City's upper-level training program for improvisation and revue comedy. When you get to Level 5, you start working on your show. Essentially a senior capstone, this show is about 45 minutes of original comedic material written and performed by you and your classmates.

Well, we wrote it. We performed it. And now it's done. If you missed it, you blew it. (Although I do have it forever preserved on a sweet DVD made by our Assistant Director. Thanks, James!)

I was very proud of our final product. I've said it many times before, but I'll keep saying it: I feel amazingly fortunate to have had the classmates and director that I did. Everyone got along really well and helped shape and build on others' ideas . It made for, in my opinion, a pretty darn good show.

It's bittersweet, as most good things that end are. I'll miss my classmates and I'll miss performing with them. But there will be other shows. And last night I had my first free Monday night in quite a few weeks. And it was pretty great.

Besides, to show for all my hard work, I now have this!

That's right, suckers. My family presented me with a diploma that says I have a Masters in Comedic Arts. Take that, idiots who went to law school!


P.S. Thanks to Lindsey for the great YouTube montage.

4 comments:

Timmy Tapeworm said...

And, of course, for all of you who were just insanely curious about the "Awkward Striptease" sketch, here it is in all its glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHWySqu1IL8

That was the last show, and Lindsey really went for it. There wasn't always that much extended grinding.

If you listen you can hear my Dad's distinct laugh.

And here's a fun compilation of the same scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAWgFqGUoXw

None of those links are Rick Roll's, I promise.

Anonymous said...

You just earned major brownie points friend. I was super bummed I never got to see that scene with Lindsey and low and behold, you have linkage to it. Awesome. And I'm glads to see your certificate. Your dad told me he was going to do that and I must say, it turned out freaking sweet.

Wandering Explorer said...

Hey! I learned to be funny in law school!

Anonymous said...

miss your face! hugs.