10.21.2004

Celebration station

Some quick props must be thrown out tonight.

Props to the St. Louis Cardinals for winning Game 7 and heading to the World Series. So awesome. Hey brother...it's on. The Cards are gonna make every Bostonian sad for another few decades. But you're a Cubs fan. You're used to disappointment.

Props for democracy. Today was the big push for voting on campus here at Drake. Some very nice election officials came out and had us all vote absentee so we wouldn't have to go somewhere else on Nov. 2. And let me tell you, I fulfilled the crap out of my civic duty.

Props to Jon Stewart for yelling at the stupid people who host Crossfire. If you haven't seen the video or read the transcript yet, I highly recommend it. It's hilarious and he makes some excellent points.

And props to you, loyal reader. Without the 5 of you that regularly view this, I don't know why I would bother. Anyway, I'm headed out of town for a couple days for a fall retreat with the high school youth group I volunteer with. Should be a good time, but that means no blogging. So don't get discouraged. I'm not going to bail for a week and a half like last time. I'm just going to play some paintball, talk about Jesus, and then I'll be back.

So keep your pants on, Paintball Jesus.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Damn, I meant to make my next post on Jon Stewart and his solid performance on Crossfire. Oh well, at least it's out there. He was right on through and through. Everytime Jon makes a serious speech he's always insightful, clever, and most importantly honest. We should start electing comedians to public office. Just not Robin Williams, I don't want an improvised 5 1/2 hour State of the Union delivered by a guy in a tuxedo and converse all stars. Robin's ok in small doses. Or when he's doing standup. Other than that...yeah. - Scott

Anonymous said...

Scott, I would like to add a common thought to yours. In my humble opinion, I can think of ninety better canidates better then the two goofs we have up on the block this week. And for that reason, I would like to formally nominate Alan Alda for President.
Personally, I would just feel better about myself and the future of the US with Hawkeye at the helm.
-josh
Flip that switch to maudlin.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Josh - Holy crap. Did my brother just make an obscure Futurama reference? And furthermore, did he make it without ever having seen the episode? That's impressive. Points for you, brother. And there's talk of Alan Alda becoming the new president on The West Wing. So at least we'll have that.

Scott - I just imagined that improvised State of the Union. After regaining consciousness, I'd have to agree that I would not want to see that ever. Seeing him on Inside the Actor's Studio is bad enough. And as far as comedians being elected go...I'm voting for a reteaming of Fey/Fallon for President in 2008. And you better believe Tina Fey is going for President. Rroww...