10.19.2004

The only good thing about Tuesdays

It's been a while since I actually bought an album on the day it came out, but today I did. And I didn't buy just one brand spanking new album. No sir. I bought two. (And one week-old album.) Here are the initial reviews:

Jimmy Eat World - Futures: Amazing. More like Clarity than Bleed American, this is pure Jimmy. Quintessential Jimmy, you might say. I love it.

Roper - Brace Yourself for the Mediocre: Oddly, I haven't listened to this yet. However, I'm sure it will be very silly and very Roper-ish.

Straylight Run - s/t: This band was formed by two former members of Taking Back Sunday, but doesn't really sound much like it. Which I suppose is part of the reason they left. One review I read of this album says it's like "melding your copy of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours into your Fugazi disc." A great quote. I think a huge part of being a music journalist is finding clever ways to describe new music. I respect that. Anyway, it's a really great CD. I'm a sucker for piano-pop and female harmonies, which are only a small part of the music, but suck me in nonetheless.

Whoo! Two posts in two days! This won't last!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I haven't bought a CD in ages. Actually almost makes me feel bad. I used to go to concerts all the time, and that was my justifcation for it. I bought T-Shirts and supported my bands by putting a few bucks in the jar... which beats the hell outta the 8 cents they make per song on a CD anyway through royalities. But yeah, I dunno. OH, hey! I had an idea. And I can have Scott help me on this one. To keep this place alive, I'm just gonna put my own posts on here on days that Tim "Neglects" us. I mean, I can put up a cool link or something. Yeah, that's the ticket! Whachu think Scott?

Rob

Anonymous said...

What? Your brother on your blog? Unimaginable as it may be, yes I'm here. What have I been up to? Oh you know the usual, finding dumb things to become inspired by, like reading the New Testament in Greek. (Bam, one for Josh.) Or maybe I'm sitting around and "manufacturing" childhood memories. (Bam, two for the brother. Seriously, no one gets that but T and Allyn.)
A. T, where did you get your Roper CD? I looked the other day after I got my haircut. Not at the same place I got my haircut, I looked at a place where they sold cd's. After I changed venues the cd selection got better, that haircut place had a horrid selection.
B. I don't really have a B, I just wanted to start an itimized list.
C. Hey Allyn, your smile makes my day better.
D. That's right T, live with it.
-your brother

Scott said...

Rob, I agree. This is a democracy, not a Timocracy. We can post as much as we want damnit. Reguardless of timmy's lazy antics. Power to the people! Down with Tim! I'm making picketing signs as I type (which is quite a feat).

In other news, you can get Roper's CD at Best Buy. Not the most hidden thing in the world people. One you guys should check out is The Arcade Fire. Good jams man, good jams. Alright I'm out - Scott

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Rob - here's an idea. START YOUR OWN BLOG! Oh wait, you already have. Hey, can't wait until your first post on your new blog.

Brother - Easy, tiger! Your first comment in forever and you score two points in the first paragraph?! Don't use up your best stuff too early, bro. And yeah, go to Best Buy for Roper. But look out, you might have to go to the "Contemporary Christian" section and dig through Michael W. Smith and the audio recordings of Joshua Harris not dating people to find it. And as gross as it is, I have to pause and consider the logic of Allyn's smile making your day better considering said smile is half a country away. Ah, I better not think too much about it...oh wait, crap...HLUH!!

Scott - That's right it's not a Timocracy. It's a Timtatorship. Get used to it, byotch. It's about to get more terrible than Best Buy could have ever been.