5.13.2005

The sport of the future.

Tennis golf really is a coming craze. If there's anyone who has their finger on the pulse of the nation (especially when it comes to underground sports), it's this kid. And tennis golf will be huge. It could at least get some coverage on ESPN 8 - The Ocho!

For those of you who don't know the origins of this amazing sport, allow me to set the Wayback Machine for Spring 2003. I'm hanging out with Josh and his friends at Illinois College. They have this sweet thing called Senior Week where seniors are pretty much the only people left on campus and they're done with Finals. How this doesn't just dissolve into an anarchic bacchanal, I'll never know. But it was fun - some seniors party, we invent sports.

I guess the kids at IC just got an itch to play golf, but didn't want the hassle of leaving campus. And playing with golf balls was obviously out of the question because of problems in distance and property damage. Hence - tennis golf. Pick your favorite iron (I use a 5 iron - go figure), take a tennis ball, and go to town. The game is played on campus using various landmarks and buildings as holes. In our course, for example, you have to hit the library, a tree, between two rows of bushes, and eventually the strange Stonehenge-like sculpture in the middle of campus. (That's not all one hole. That would be ridiculous. Although the last hole at IC was something equally silly. It was a par 9.) The course is created the first time out, pars are assigned, and you go from there.

The first attempt at tennis golf at Drake was last Saturday afternoon. Raph and I went out to create the course. We made it 8 holes before losing BOTH our tennis balls in thick foliage around Old Main. That was embarrassing. Undaunted, we set out the next day with a foursome to complete the course. What follows is proof of our awesomeness.


Here's the foursome. From left - Raph, Emeric, myself, and Quentin, a guy from Raph's floor who caught us at tee-off and decided to jump in. Yes, his shirt does indeed say "Wenches want me." This is the crowd we run around with.


A common practice during tennis golf: watching the shot and praying it doesn't break a window or a person.


Emeric and Keri, in their classic "British noble" pose. Those kids love to act like nobility, God bless 'em. Keri was nice enough to serve as our audience/ball girl/photographer on this outing.


I find that wearing ridiculous glasses bought at Walgreens really helps my game. "Cool cool glasses."


Emeric had a pre-shot ritual that was very entertaining. This is him pretending that he knows which way the ball is about to go.


Raph, on the other hand, is pioneering a revolutionary new technique in which he never once looks at the ball. Not ever. It's a terrible technique.


Quentin had never actually touched a golf club before that day, but he took to the body english like a natural.


Now there's some pretty form.


Pretty form leads to holes-in-one. This is me right after I hit a bench on a short, but devlishly tricky par 3. It's the only hole-in-one recorded on the course so far. Take that, Tiger.


Fun as it is, the game is little more than an excuse to take a lovely walk around campus and have some silly fun with good friends. And good friends they are.

Well, I'm graduating on Saturday and after that I'll be going on a short camping jaunt. So if you don't hear from me by a week from now, assume I've been eaten by a mountain lion. They can climb trees, you know.

6 comments:

C_thegreat said...

Digging the sunglasses. I have a very similar pair, only I got them for free when I found them in a bowling alley. I have a $.99 pair of aviators from WalGreens. They were the only pair of sunglasses out of four I had (yes, I really had four pair in my car) that didn't get stolen. Let me mention that all four pair were right next to one another.

And what is wrong with Blogger time? It is two hours and two minutes off. Bah!

Scott said...

The question is: are you prepared to LOSE!

TO ME.

AT TENNIS GOLF.

When you get here, the question will be answered, and quite possibly the answer will be questioned. But really, this is me throwing down the gauntlet. Let's go. My charming gloating as I win and my endearing bitching as I lose are more than enough to warrant the jealousy you'll no doubt experience as a result of being in my presence.

The gauntlet is officially thrown down.


- Scott

Rob said...

We play "Tennis Golf" in J-ville Timmy. Josh is the one who taught me how to play and it has graced the streets of Jerseyville many-a-times since. Biggest difference is that we call it "Urban Golf." Also its a lot harder on your clubs when you play in the street. My house to your old house is about a par 14. A great variation is playing ridiculously long pars (like 14) and playing best ball. When you use a person's ball, that person gets a point. Person with the most points takes that hole. Great Game.

Scott said...

You should have four comments.

Anonymous said...

I don't know... this post might actually deserve five comments.

People are still calling the DBS office fo you, Tim. I just told them you died.


Keri

C_thegreat said...

I think it is time that we "safely assume you have been eaten by a mountain lion."

I was trying to figure out why it was important that mountain lions can climb trees...
Is "camping jaunt" code for "sitting in a tree house"?
I dunno, but when I go camping we usually pitch the tent on the ground. Then it doesn't really matter what animals can and cannot climb trees.

Anyway though, you better hurry back before the search party gets sent out.

~c