8.28.2006

Knick knack paddy stack

People, I enjoyed one of the greatest lunch breaks of my life last week. I was playing the ESPN Game in my lunchroom and just happened on something that completely toppled paintball as the most ridiculous thing to be televised on a sports network.

Sport Stacking.

The 2006 World Sport Stacking Championships, to be precise.

Do not let the name deceive you. These kids are clearly stacking cups. However, in 2004, the World Sport Stacking Association (WSSA - I swear I'm not making that up), changed the name of the activity from cup stacking to sport stacking in order to give it "
immediate identification as a competitive sport."

This is ridiculous, but watching televised sport stacking clearly IS NOT. It is hypnotic and amazing. I learned so much about 3-6-3, 6-6, 1-10-1 cycles, relays, doubles competitions and everything else this amazing competitive activity* has to offer.

But just like anything the world has ever invented, the Germans have found a way to be better at it. Those kids are MACHINES. Seriously. Little German kids just stacking away with ruthless efficiency.

Some coworkers and I were really into it, cheering for our American kids (to no avail) and having a grand old time.

Too bad it'll never be shown again. At least until next year's world championships.



P.S. I'm pretty sure Alone Together (aka Josh and I) had the idea for an acoustic "Hey Ya" cover first, but I think this guy's execution was a little better.

*Note the obvious omission of the word "sport."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

apollo sunshine did an acoustic cover of hey ya when we saw them at the rocket bar in stl. it was good.

Kyle Lobner said...

You mustn't watch as much ESPN as I do, or you'd recognize the far superior ESPN program: VIKING.

You'll have to scroll down a few posts to see it on the link. I've never actually seen it live, but thankfully a friend has Tivo, so I've seen every episode, and they're all awesome.

KL

Rob said...

I had seen the video of the girl who holds the speed stacking world record a few times, and I had NO IDEA what it was. Tim, you've just solved one of the great mysteries of my world. Thank you.

Josh said...

Target sells a sport stacking game for $17.99. It is the "fastest growing sport", or so they claim.

Scott said...

Did Ro just make a Pogs reference? That's fantastic. I remember Pogs... good times. Not to mention a good investment. I managed to keep mine in mint conditon. ...Mostly because no one else would be seen playing Pogs. But hey, when the market's right I'm all OVER that.

- Scott