2.16.2005

Hello Facebook, goodbye productivity

My life as I know it is over. My free time has all been filled. Any thoughts I might have had about being productive or making something of myself this semester have long been banished.

I've joined Facebook.

For those of you who might not know what Facebook is, you're probably not in college. Or at least not at my school. Because here...good Lord. You can't get away from it. The day Drake was added to the offical Facebook server was as if God Himself came down and said, "Behold, I have given you the ultimate procrastination tool!" Everybody started talking about it and they haven't stopped since. Some of you might be looking at this thing for the first time because you followed a link from my profile. If so, um...hi. Take your shoes off at the door and don't feed the robots, okay?

Oh right. Some of you still might not know what the crap I'm talking about. For you blessedly ignorant souls, you can check out the site here and read a very helpful article about the phenomenon here. That should get you up to speed on the most addictive college fad since Snood.

I actually held out for almost two weeks after Drake was added to join the F-Book. (Sometimes I call it the F-Book because we're cool like that now. Sometimes I call it the devil incarnate. But that's only when I want to use its true name.) Sadly, one of the main reasons was because I didn't have a good picture to use. And your face is, coincidentally, a fairly integral part of the Facebook. Finally, I had my friend scan in a picture and I cropped it so it was just me. I even used my new free photo editor to edit out my redeye because, as is the case in most pictures and in most of my waking life, I looked freaking high. (The editor is made by Google, by the way. They're taking over the world. And I love it...)

Hence, the new picture to the right of these words. Probably up a little too, by this point. If you could see the rest of the picture, you would see the amazingly talented and strikingly handsome boys of Copeland from when I saw them open for Switchfoot last year in Ames. Switchfoot probably doesn't need their own link at this point. You should know who they are. Those sell-outs.

So anyway, I have a new great way to waste time. Because...that's just what I needed. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to confirm 428 people as my new friends and also ask to be in the "Drake Students Advocating the Construction of Underground Heated Passages Between Campus Buildings" group. Because they wouldn't let me into the Drake Chapter of "I Just Tried To Ford a River and My F#@%ng Oxen Died."

And yes, that is a reference to Oregon Trail. 'Tis the glory that is Facebook.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

428?! You are one popular guy.
Make it 429.. since I just added you! Please confirm before I personally kick your @$$.

Miss youuuu, byes!

Anonymous said...

428?! You are one popular guy.
Make it 429.. since I just added you! Please confirm before I personally kick your @$$.

Miss youuuu, byes!

Rob said...

I hate F-Book. Why? Because it's such a massive waste of time? Because its nothing but some over-glorified popularity contest to see how many friends you can have, when most of them you hardly spoke to in the first place, let alone in recent days. No. I hate F-Book 'cause you have to have a friggin' school email address to participate. And ISU definately deleted my account. Screw you and your F-Book. I didn't want any friends anyways.

Anonymous said...

It's alright brother, I'm sure the state has some fantastic 12 step programs for you. And no more of this "i'm so busy" garbage, needless to say, I'm not the very picture of frazzled, but that won't stop me from making a shameless plug for what's really keeping me busy these days: world domination via...http://www.ripcord.ws/
-josh