2.04.2005

Like sand through an hourglass...so goes water through a dam

So...my brother's getting married....that's crazy.

Can't say as I didn't see it coming. He and his girlie have been hurl-inducingly cute for each other for a while now. But it's still kind of a crazy thing to think about. Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond happy for them, hella happy in fact. (My minute-long episode of fake vomiting was just my way of dealing with the news. Plus, I promised them I would.) It's just that big news like this makes you step back and take stock in your own life. And I hate doing that. So thanks a lot, kids. I mean, congratulations and all, but seriously, thanks a lot.

I thought I'd take a cue from my blog friend Rob (he's my real friend too) and wax poetic on the passage of time.

A few weeks ago, I made a fort.

No, not some sort of metaphorical fort to shield me from the rapid onset of adulthood. I'm not that deep. A real fort, made from couch cushions and sheets. I really don't know how it happened. I was hanging out with a few friends after an apartment party. The theme was a hipster dance party, so The Shins and John Vanderslice were on heavy rotation. There was fondue and fruitshi (fruit sushi) and people were having college drinks. It was a great time, and quite the adult-ish party.

After everyone cleared out, I was going to help the ladies move their furniture back to its original positions when it happened. I don't know who brought it up, but someone half-jokingly suggested that we make a fort. The four of us immediately latched onto the idea and spontaneously reverted back to little kids. We moved the couches, draped some sheets, and got a couple candles for light (our one adult exception. We weren't trusted with fire when we were 4. Probably a good idea.) We probably spent an hour in that fort, telling stories and being ridiculous. Eventually, we had to leave and return to our near-adult lives and do near-adult things, but for a brief time, we were kids again. It was one of the best times I've had in a while and it was a memory that I'll remember for a long time.

So I guess the moral is this...spend some time in a fort soon. This one can be metaphorical, I guess, but it's better if it's real. Life is too short to be adult all the time. Getting married is a very adult thing to do, but it's cool because then you always have someone to build a fort with.

Well, I should get started on writing my best man toast, because I'm already under a lot of pressure to deliver the most hilarious toast ever. I hope the happy couple is okay with Robert Goulet delivering their toast...

GOULET!

9 comments:

Scott said...

Ah Timmy, the fort building business gets so much more enjoyable after you get past the 'no girls allowed' sign phase. At least for me it did. And I see it's been nice for you too. But I think there's a part of this story that's been strategically left out. I mean, you don't just build a fort out of a girls furniture, light candles, and enter the fort with a few ladies to talk. Or I hope you don't; what a waste of opportunity.

I fondly remember trashing the Reid's house after Prom and Homecomming to construct a fort out of mattresses, blankets, inflatatble mattresses, and swords. Ah, what a good time. Rediculous, but then again I was there so that was pretty much guaranteed.

Good luck on the toast. I'm sure it'll be hilarious.

- Scott

Scott said...

Oh and by the way, I'm so on board with this Josh getting married thing, you'll just have to see it for yourself.

- Scott

Darkschunt said...

Hey I came to check out your blog because of the title: Not All Who Wander Are Lost. I have good memories of that slogan! Once, a friend and I were wandering up and down this beach in search of a kite-surfing competition that we heard was going on there and we were getting really tired and discouraged and were about to give up when we came upon this hippie truck with the bumper sticker: "Not All Who Wander Are Lost." Taking that as a good sign, we pushed on, and less then five minutes away, we found the place! Yay!

Anonymous said...

Hey Timmy, thanks for the support for Josh and I. It means alot. I am so pumped for your toast, but try not to recall ALL the ridiculous things I have done since you have known me okay? :) Anyways, so jealous of the fort. But knowing me, I would have accidentally lit something on fire with my candle. Ha! On a side note, I had the unfortunate opportunity to witness the worst display of SNL ever, last night, hosted by Paris Hilton. Who, ironically enough, played herself in most of the skits. I was actually not suprised by that. At all. She has no versatility. And that's all I have to say about that.
Smiles!!
al

Anonymous said...

wow, a fort sounds like a lot of fun! haha. invite me in next time, okies?? hehehe^____^
So, congrats about your bro, that is awesome. And good luck with making your Best Man speech, I'm sure it'll be great!
Well, I was just stopping in to say hello. Take care my long legged friend~

*Hot Sauce*

Jake said...

YAWN. Could you talk about your thesis/show some more?

Scott said...

Timmay, caught the show last night. And boy. What a cop out. You ditched me (and your entire audience) 30 minutes early. For what? For a Superbowl Party? Pfft. The Superbowl didn't even start until like 5:47. Me thinks you were out of material and wanted to go out on a high note.

If that's the case; mission partially accomplished. Although I'm pretty sure that last Frou Frou song didn't play. At least it didn't on my computer. But there was a bit of jitter throughout the show. (And to answer your question, I always read it as Frow Frow, but I've never heard that in real life. So I'd have to say it's Fru Fru.)

Anyway I'm pretending to be typing out something for English 310, so I might as well do that.


- Scott

Rob said...

*what to comment... what to comment...*
*make it short. make it witty.*
*said everything I could about Josh and Al...*
*haven't posted much lately... must be good*

If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

*good. Random Jack Handy quote. Doesn't really relate, but Tim will like it.*
*I'm awesome*

Scott said...

Ah the most famous of the Jack Handy thoughts. My personal favorite is quite possibly:

"I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet."

It's even better reading it in the Jack Handy voice. Also, Tim, how do you NOT mention that you've met Mo Rocca. And interviewed him. I had to find out through my favorite bored hobby, trying to dig up creepy amounts of information about my friends on the internet. I realize that it happened a while ago, but this is the kind of story you'd think I'd hear at least once or twice.

Also, I refuse to believe that you aren't the funniest man on campus. What a farce.