2.19.2005

This is huge.

Possibly the proudest moment of my entire life happened last night. First, let's rewind to last semester. As the MDCRSTNOLT, I get a lot of cool indie music sent to me in hopes that I'll play it on the station. One such CD was by a band called Sunday Runners. I gave it a listen and really dug the CD, but one track in particular entitled "Memories Left at Sea" stuck out. It was a groovy, quirky track with a great upbeat organ part. I pushed for KDCS to add it, and it spent a couple months on our playlist last semester. I think we just dumped it last week to make room for some new stuff. I kept the CD and still listen to it.

Fast forward to last night. I'm in my room, watching my tape of Thursday's "O.C." A scene comes up with Marissa and Summer talking in their room. Then the opening strains of a very familiar organ part begin to waft through the background. The moment I heard the vocals come in, I paused the tape, leapt up out of my seat, raised my hands over my head, and took a celebratory lap around my single. "The O.C." used Sunday Runners' "Memories Left at Sea." Do you have any idea what that means?

I scooped "The O.C."

The TV show with THE hippest, most indie soundtrack today, the show that has raised the bar in terms of cool TV soundtracks, the show that has received as much press for introducing kids to Death Cab and The Thrills as any storyline...and I scooped them. By a good three months.

I have achieved Music Director nirvana.

I may not have changed the radio station all the much in my time there, but I can say that I scooped "The O.C." (Last semester, I scooped "One Tree Hill," but who really cares about them?) And that is all I need. I may retire satisfied.

Thank you very much. Good night.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As your Mom, I can't even begin to tell you how proud I am of you for scooping the OC! I knew that four years of college would never be a waste............ Congratulations! Now find a job!!

Jake said...

What the hell is "scooping"?

Scott said...

*Sigh* Jake I just lost 20% of my respect for you. You've never heard the term scoop? As in "I've got the scoop on this story" the inside track, the edge, you report it first...are any of these 20's Newspaper terms getting through to you?

Scooping is the conjugation of that word, it becomes a verb. "Scooping".


Congrats, I've done the same thing with various bands. But they're usually on in the background of MTV long after I'm sick of them. So it's not as exciting. I have a theory that MTV would be a really good music channel if they played the music they typically just make loops of and play in the background of their TV shows and previews.

Sadly, they play crap.


- Scott

Anonymous said...

^If that's really your mom, I will hold hands with your foot as soon as I see you.

Joanna

Anonymous said...

Hey, I like One Tree Hill. Lucas is hott. And the O.C. doesn't have Tyler Hilton.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Thanks Mom. Now that I can add THAT little accomplishment to my resume, the job will pretty much find itself.

Jacob, I've lost 20% of my respect for you with each phone call I've received from you this semester. That only left 20% and now after the whole "what is scooping" fiasco...well, let's just say you better grab on tight to that 3%.

Scott - MTV does have some of the best background tracks around. Which only makes it more infuriating when I hear The Postal Service being used in the background of promos for Laguna Beach and The Ashlee Simpson Show.

J - That really is my mom, and I'm holding you to that.

Anonymous WB lover - If The O.C. DID have Tyler Hilton, it would suck. As good as that show is, Tyler Hilton and his amazingly crappy music and terrible acting are just sucky enough to overcome it all and move the show squarely into Sucktown. He and Jesse McCartney can both get torn apart by wild boars. Music would be better for it.

Jake said...

I called you four times this semester? Wow. I need to start keeping a ledger of who I call and how often.

As for "scooping", yes, I know when someone "has the scoop." My apologies for not automatically being hip and making something a verb that has no business being one.