9.28.2005

Two links, a story, and some Goldfish snacks

Check out this fascinating article about Conan O'Brien. Veddy interesting...

Also go look at the site of a NYC group called Improv Everywhere. They do really great "experiments" in the city that are really funny, but not at anyone's expense. They're not messing with people to be mean, they're just kind of messing with them to make them smile. I think it's nice and that Scott should move to NYC and join.

Speaking of Scott, he called me today and opened with the line, "Hey, want to save lives and read comic books?" This, surprisingly, is only the second weirdest opening line he's delivered this week. The weirdest was on Monday when he simply yelled "I LOVE YOU!" when I picked up. This was odd because I was in Barnes & Noble at the time and I think the people around me heard. Fortunately, I was in the graphic novel section and none of the nerds knew what those words mean.

Anyway, by "save lives," he actually meant donate blood, so we went to the Springfield Blood Center and did the fun interviewing routine. (Some of the questions on that interview I really feel are just for laughs - "Have you ever traveled to the moon or been paid to have sex with someone who HAS traveled to the moon?" is really not that far off from some of the questions on the interview.)

I assume I passed, because I was ushered into the blood-letting room and given a nice cushy chair to sit it. Let me tell you, the chairs in the blood center are a heck of a lot nicer than those ramshackle wicker things they have at your college or high school. Very nice. Scott (or "Harry," as he was addressed in the blood center) was given the seat next to me. We were both prepped, stuck, and then...the race was on.

15 seconds and a few squeezes later, Scott lost. Or possibly won. Depending on the rules.

It seems Scott is so AMAZINGLY strong that he managed to squeeze the needle right out of his arm. And once it's dislodged, they can't put it back. And they can't try again. So despite the fact that Scott gave about three tablespoons of blood, he was done for the day and in fact the next 56 days. That's how long he has to wait before attempting (and most likely COMPLETELY failing) to give blood again.

He waited and ate cookies he did not deserve while I completed my selfless humanitarian act. Honestly Scott, how do you sleep at night?

8 comments:

Rob said...

Conan O'Brien: Ugly, ugly man. Personally, I always thought that was his shtick. Seriously, Scott and I have discussed this before, especially his extreme closeups during his opening... simply terrifing.

Anonymous said...

I have an announcement to make:

Scott and I are now FACEBOOK OFFICIAL!

check it out:

http://drake.facebook.com/profile.php?id=34000380


Scott- I think we need to try to upstage every single one of tim's posts from now on. You up for it?


-Keri

C_thegreat said...

Don't you dare call Conan ugly.

I think an apology is in order.

~c

C_thegreat said...

Oh, and Keri did you look his Facebook picture before agreeing to marry him? I hope he wasn't dressed up for Halloween when he Facebook proposed!

But congrats anyway. Are you going to have an internet wedding too? Can I be e-vited? Get cute single avatars to usher -- I'm SO there!

Where do I send my ecard to?

Ok, I'm running out of internet adjectives...
~c

Anonymous said...

Thanks Corie, Scott is SUCH a romantic. Listen to how he proposed:

"Scott Gresham has requested to add you as his girlfriend, but before
we can do that, you must confirm that you are actually in a relationship with
Scott.

To confirm this request, go to:
http://drake.facebook.com

Thanks,
thefacebook team"

Then later when I checked his site, it said we were married... such a whirlwind romance! Facebook is like the Cyrano to Scott's Christian and my Roxane! (And yes, I had to look it up on Spark notes to spell Cyrano....) I think that actually means that facebook will die in the end, so that works out well for everyone.


Keri

Rob said...

Alright... fine.

Corie, I'm sorry I pointed out that Conan O'Brien was an ugly, ugly man. But still think that was a misdirected demand. I'd look more towards his parents.

Scott said...

Dude, I am TOTALLY going to New York to do unpaid improv. I figure, I pretty much hate jobs because of the pressure that comes with the money. So I'll do this for free, and as a result do a better job. IE is a great group simply because it's like 70 people who seem willing to go along with my quirky shenaniganary.

Plus I get to defy people who take themselves seriously and operate with a comfortable amount of anonymity. It's a match made in heaven.

In a related story, Keri is still awesome. We plan on continuing to honeymoon in differing locations.

- Scott

Anonymous said...

Keri -

You owe me $20. Cough it up.

J