4.07.2006

The best-laid plans of mice and nerds

You make a fair point, Scotty. I'm leaving out one of the best bits of the story.

One of the best parts of the weekend was that Scotty drove up to surprise me and come to my first show. A truly noble gesture that was only made more meaningful through the means it was carried out.

I'm hanging out in my apartment around 8:30, watching a downloaded ep of Everwood and trying to recover from a frustrating day at work because steaming anger doesn't lead to the best funny. Suddenly my phone rings and I see it's Scott. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hey Scotty! What's up?"

Scott: "Oh, not much, man. Say...got a question for you. Remind me how to get to your apartment. I'm at Belmont and Halsted."

That's right, he surprised me by asking for directions. Well-planned, mate.

He also surprised me by needing a ticket to the show and a place to sleep for the night. It was an all-around surprise-filled weekend!

Anyway, it was really nice to have Scott come up and cheer me on at my first show. I was glad to serve as a halfway point for his (apparently eventful) pimps and hos party.

The Senate had its first show last night, which was a blast. I feel super rad about how it went and about the cool people I play with. Long-form, everybody. Just another facet in the beautiful improv diamond.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to see the lovely ladies (and a couple cool dudes) of Eisley.

(Yeah nerds, make more Star Wars cantina jokes. It's cool.)

4 comments:

Scott said...

You like Eisley? Never will you find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious. < /nerd>

Anyway, I was very close. But after circling your house a few times without finding it, I decided that the surprise works better if I'm actually there before your show.

And as far as the ticket was concerned... well it's a good thing I came at all. Wouldn't want to be playing to an empty house.

I'd also like to thank Tara D for her lovely note lauding my "dopeness." And I'd like to point out how observant she is, as in the two times she's seen me in person, once I was groggy with train fatigue, and the second I was passed out on her couch. So to pick up on my inherent sense of nonchalant dope-itude, well it's something alright.

I'll close this comment with the statement that there's nothing classier or more surprising than the statement "Surprise! Now give me a place to sleep." The dwarves did it to Bilbo, and I think that worked out for everyone, now didn't it? (Exception: Frodo.)

- Scott

C_thegreat said...

< / nerd >
AWESOME! That was hilarious!

~c

P.S. but then I realized that took me slightly passed my admitted dork-dom and brought me into nerd-dom. Um... I think I need to go and find something un-nerdy to do.
< emergency / nerd >

Anonymous said...

off topic - regarding first your user picture...the last time I went camping with my family, I spent a good hour or so piling rocks into cairns on the Maine seacoast and standing on rocks "conducting" the waves with overly-dramatic arm gestures. I did mention that I was with my family right? Decompression was necessary. At some point my mom occasioned me to realize that there were tourists actually photographing me, while my step-father sagely nodded to them and muttered, "special needs child...so sorry." Your picture - worth a thousand words. You hold back that ocean, my dearest. You keep it back.

Second - the name of your blog...delicious. It's the nerds you really have to watch out for. When they gang aft, they gang aft a-gley.

Anonymous said...

by the by, the company I work for syndicates dilbert, get fuzzy, Frazz, Pearls and Rose is Rose.

No shit. the guy that draws frazz - I had the honor of meeting him a few weeks ago and he's quite possibly the kindest, most fantastic human being on earth.