4.20.2006

From zero to Guitar Hero

Hey, remember a month ago when I bought a PS2 and Guitar Hero on eBay? Yeah, I do too.

Call me crazy, but when two weeks passed after my payment cleared and I hadn't heard from the seller or gotten my package, I started to get a little worried. I wrote the guy once just to ask what the deal was, but hadn't heard from him. So Friday, I got a little terse and wrote a strongly-worded message that basically threatened to get eBay involved and make things "a little less pleasant" if I didn't hear from him very soon.

People who know me know that I rarely do this. I am about the most mild-mannered dude this side of Metropolis and avoid conflict like the skin-festering plague. So it takes a lot to make me get harsh with somebody.

So imagine how I felt when I got this response just a few hours later:

"hey man, i'm really sorry about taking so long, but i just got out of the hospital. belive it or not i got in a pretty bad wreck and have to have surgery. once again i really do apologize i'll be sending it out on monday i promise. sorry again man."

I am the biggest jerk of all time. Of course he couldn't send me my PS2. HE WAS IN THE HOSPITAL.

Ah gee.

Don't worry though. This story has a happy ending. Specifically, this story ends with me getting a nice big package from Swan Cleaners yesterday afternoon. Everything was nice and bubble-wrapped - the only thing missing was the guitar strap. (He still gets positive feedback. The dude WAS IN THE HOSPITAL.) So what does a resourceful young guitar student do?


He gets his own Two-tone flavored guitar strap out of the case and puts it to use. If they ever put out a ska expansion pack for the game, I'll be ready.


I rock my Guitar Hero on the upbeats, fool. RUDEBOY!!

13 comments:

Josh said...

Next trip home, multiplayer, it's on. A full reunion tour of Alone Together, featuring stops in my living room, the hall, and as far as the cord goes. It's on.

Anonymous said...

NERD!!!! NERD!!! Oh, God, the NERD! Alert!!!! It just keeps going off!!!

I think it's that last picture. Tim, unlike the legend of the rent, you are not way hardcore.

NERD!!!

Anonymous said...

i hate when that happens!!! the one time you actually get hot enough under the collar to speak out, it is the one time you shouldn't. well, at least you got your guitar hero....

Anonymous said...

i betcha that guy lied to you!

-hotsauce

Rob said...

Know what I liked best in the picture?
Not the fact that Tim has EVERY concievable map of Chicago on his wall...
Not even Tim's expression...
Instead, the prominently displayed "Josh and Allyn Talking Picture Frame"

How often do you press that button Tim? Seriously...

Anonymous said...

Tim

Not to be a cynic, but how do you know that he just said that he was in the hospital because he forgot to mail the stuff or he just put it off. Did you find gauze or a bedpan in the box with all of the other stuff?

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Man, you guys sure are cynical. I suppose it's possible that he was just making up all that stuff about being injured, but man...harsh, you guys.

He did say, "belive it or not." I guess I'm just more apt to belive him.

Josh - it's on.

Rob - not so much anymore, although it usually gets pressed when a new person looks at the place.

Anonymous said...

Interesting.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Lamest. anonymous. comment. ever.

Come on, man. You're operating behind a cloak of anonymity - at least say something inflammatory!

Saying something is interesting is the least you can possibly say and still say something. It's like calling something remarkable - well, obviously it is. You just remarked on it.

P.S. I used to say stuff was interesting in college a lot. It was an easy out.

Anonymous said...

Oh man. Do you realize how difficult a ska expansion pack would be for the average Guitar Hero player? You would have to start out at Dub Style setting and work your way up to SoCal. It may sound weird, but FIF or RBF would be really hard to play on that thing... and I can play their songs on a real guitar.

AM

raph said...

they're making a sequel later this fall :)

Timmy Tapeworm said...

"inconsequential changes to these games" = more songs on which to rock out = awesome.

"these games" = the best games ever made.

"suckers like you two" = coolest guys you know.

Anonymous said...

dude you know that I have air guitar style