5.19.2006

In the raw

I was eating my normal mid-morning snack of two Pop-Tarts straight out of the bag at my desk the other day when a coworker stopped by to ask about something.

"Eww," she said. "Are you eating those Pop-Tarts raw?"

"Yeah," I replied. "I guess I am. I should be more worried about salmonella, but I live on the edge."

This was really funny to me and not even in a what-a-stupid-thing-to-say kind of way. I suppose, in the most technical sense of the word, she's absolutely correct. The Pop-Tarts are uncooked and therefore, quite raw.

I just found the perspective pretty hilarious. I guess I've been eating a lot of things raw without even knowing it. From now on, I'm cooking everything.

One cannot be too safe.


EDIT: Okay, I know I link to it a lot, but today's Dinosaur Comics made me laugh so hard I rocked with silent laughter in my cube, lest someone become curious. Plus, if you scroll down on this page a bit, you'll see an automatic updater for Dinosaur Comics. Man, obsess much?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a saying in my family: "If you can't put it in a bowl, and eat it with a spoon, it's not dead yet."

Anonymous said...

they are not raw!! it they were raw, the would come out a goo mess of batter...they are baked...putting them in the toaster is more of a reheating process...like spaghettios or pre cooked chicken strips...

ps. speaking of pop tarts...NEVER put them in the micorwave. my friend did that once and it exploded...not my idea of morning wake up call.

Anonymous said...

Everything I put in the microwave explodes. That's just how I roll. People come over and they say..."hey, are you making bearnaise sauce in your microwave?"

and I look up and say, "why yes I am...why do you ask?"

and they say, "because it has exploded."

And then I say, "Yes? And?"

Please, like no one else wipes down their microwave with slices of London Broil...

Anonymous said...

nessa...one word...awesome!

Anonymous said...

Don't they have a toaster at that fancy office? Mom

Timmy Tapeworm said...

First of all, I'm not all surprised that my mom and Joanna think alike.

Secondly, you make the mistake of assuming that I would prefer my Pop-Tarts toasted. Call me crazy, but sometimes I loves me some cold Pop-Tarts.

Rest assured, were it my preference, I could turn said Pop-Tarts into a confectionary treat unlike anything you have ever tasted. Such is the "shwanky"-ness of my office kitchen.

Jake said...

Could you share with us one of these tasty recipies involving Pop Tarts?