5.12.2006

Red, White and Blaine

(Disclaimer: I started this post on Friday afternoon when it was pretty slow at work. Strangely, my weekend was quite busy, so I am now finishing it on Monday because it is pretty slow at work. It is not quite as topical anymore, but at least it is something.)

Holy crap, The Office. Not only did you give us one of the funniest episodes of the season, you provided not one, but two "make-Tim-gasp-like-a-little-girl" moments in the last 10 minutes. We're talking actual hand-to-mouth gasps, people. That's impressive. A tip of the cap to you, my good friend*. It will be a long summer without your company.


But now to the main focus of today's post...

An Open Letter to David Blaine (with apologies to Rico Diablo)

Dear David Blaine,

You are a failure. An absolute, miserable, utter failure.

You might assume that I mean this in the most topical, up-to-the-minute sense because you failed in your attempt to break the world record for holding your breath. Of course, you did that. You didn't even come close. You failed pretty hard.

But you are a failure in so much more than that.

You are a failure in every sense of the word. You have failed at life, sir.

Remember when your first TV special came out? The year was 1997 and your "Street Magic" took the world by storm. While your so-bland-as-to-be-almost-dead persona was grating to some, none could deny the effect you had on the general public. People were excited.

Not long after that, you completely blew it.

Apparently, something caused you to completely forget that you are a magician. An illusionist. Not a freaking miracle worker/survivalist.

Allow me to break this down for you.

Levitating while standing 4 feet away from a stranger on the street is exciting. Making the name of some lady appear in ash on your forearm is exciting. Even card tricks are fairly exciting, when done in your trademark creepy fashion.

Fasting for 44 days while suspended in a clear plastic box is not exciting. It takes 44 days. Encased in ice, you say? Don't care. 61 hours is still about 61 hours too long. You got a little warmer with this whole breath-holding stunt, but what you've got to realize is that trying to hold your breath for 9 minutes is still 9 minutes of you just floating there.

Now if, at around the 8 minute mark, you had started flailing wildly and then DISAPPEARED, that would have been a magic show.

But no, no one does those kinds of magic shows anymore. Not even the great David Copperfield, who walked through the Great Wall of China and made the Statue of Liberty disappear. Nope, you've even ruined things for him. His latest special was something awful involving a "Tornado of Fire." He was trying to be like you because apparently that is was passes for magic these days. It was just sad, really.

Thanks a lot, David Blaine**. Thanks for ruining magic forever***.



*Notice here I have personified an entire television show.
**Finally, the title of your latest special was "Drowned Alive." I'm not even going to start on how stupid that is.
***Man, I really have a lot to say about David Blaine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was rooting for a drowning. Next they should strap him to a medieval 'ducking stool' and go to in some leech-infested pond.

We could call it, "I'm an asshole strapped to a ducking stool in a leech-infested pond."

It's got a ring to it, I think.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. The Office was incredible. I'm a big softy and was heavily invested in their relationship and it came as a huge (and beautiful)surprise. It gave me butterflies for the next couple days. Wow. I'm obsessed. Anyway, remember when David Blaine decided it would be cool to hang himself over the River Thames? Well, I was in London at the time and Londoners were obsessed with it. There was a channel on basic cable devoted exclusively to him just hanging out in a box. It was dumb and I lost all respect I had for David Blaine (which was none because I didn't know who he was), but it was truly ridiculous. I was just like "It's a dude in a box." They could TOTALLY tell I was from the states with that one sentence. I heart The Office.

Scott said...

Apologize more to Rich. His letters kick ass. Not that yours doesn't, but he's clearly mastered the form. I usually find Open Letters boring, at least those that don't start Hey Crackhead!*. But the dude did a good job keeping it hoppin' right along.

Anyway, yours. I largely agree. I'm waiting for the stunt that kills him so we can have cable news specials for two days and then forget him. Callous? Well, it's been said that, on occasion, I make Ben Grimm look like Stuart Smalley**.

- Scott


* Seriously, read that. If you don't laugh at it, I don't want to talk to you.

** If you immeadiately got both of these references, go outside. Talk to people. Talk to me actually, because you sound pretty awesome.

Scott said...

Oh yeah, I also dig David Cross's Open Letter to Larry the Cableguy. I award David Cross my affection for this work. He having previously lost it as the voice of Zero in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME I LOST THE FRACKING MISSION AGAIN. I KNOW! I WAS THERE DAMN IT.


...but we're good now.

- Scott

Rob said...

David Blaine's future* website.

*I give it three years.