5.01.2006

Good night, sweet theater

As of late, the universe has apparently found it hilarious to tear down many physical structures that hold great meaning in my life.

First my old high school, then my childhood home (okay we only sold that, but pretty much the same thing.) Now this:


This is the ComedySportz Theatre at 2851 N. Halsted St. in Chicago. It's been a historic Chicago theatre for many years, home to such influential groups as Steppenwolf, the St. Nicholas Players, and Organic Touchstone.

And in the summer of 2004, a wide-eyed college student walked through the doors and got his first glimpse into a world he'd never seen before.

He lives in that world now, and couldn't imagine what his life would have been like if not for this place.

On Saturday night, the players took their final bows and the curtain came down for the last time. Sometime in the next month or so, the building will be demolished and a whole block of godawful condos will be built.

ComedySportz will persevere, as it always has. We're in a temporary space for at least the next two months and hope that our new permanent space will be ready for the fall.

But the place has a lot of great memories attached to it and it's hard to see it go. Tara D sums it up much better than I could here and here.

Saturday night was an amazing experience. So many ensemble members just hanging out and watching the shows, such amazing playing, and just a great sense of community as we collectively remember the past and look to the future.

Plus, they started demolishing the stage in the middle of the midnight show. And afterwards, the ensemble did quite a bit of the wrecking crew's work for them. Seriously you guys, it was great.

"Good night, sweet prince.
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

6 comments:

Jake said...

Oh, Tim. I was about to say that I sympathize but then you had to quote Hamlet. You might as well complete the cliché trifecta and quote Stairway to Heaven and The End by the Doors as well.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Yeah, that was probably a bit much. I've GOT to stop having these stupid emotions. It would be so much easier to be a robot.

P.S. You were not about to sympathize. You've never sympathized with anyone in your life.

P.P.S. You may only make fun of my blog when you update your own. This limits you to about once a month.

Anonymous said...

he may not sympathize, but i totally do (although the quote was a bit much). it immediately made me think how i would feel if they tore down the theatre that feels like home to me...yeah...i didnt want to be that depressed today, but oh well. it was bad enough when i did my last show there!! at least it proves one good thing: im not so jaded as to have hardened my heart. but seriously, i feel for all of you.

C_thegreat said...

For sweet relief I’ll dwell

On humbler thoughts, and let this strange assay
Begun in gentleness die so away.
E’en now all tumult from my bosom fades:
I turn full hearted to the friendly aids
That smooth the path of honour; brotherhood,
And friendliness the nurse of mutual good.

Keats- "sleep and poetry"

::tear::
(pansy.)

~c

C_thegreat said...

P.S. I was joking about the pansy part. I'm sorrowful about changes lately too... But, YOU were the one waxing poetic about hindsight. Keep your eyes on the road, granny!

~c

Anonymous said...

Comment