7.19.2004

You stay classy, Chicago

I think the Method style of acting should be applied to other professions.  Actually, I take that back, because I think the Method style of acting is ridonkulous.  Here's what I meant to say: I think it would be funny if the Method style of acting were applied to other professions.  Then, you would have a lawyer trying to buy smack if he were defending someone charged with buying drugs, because hey, he's a Method lawyer.
 
Also, I looked into the window of an apartment building as I was walking home today and I saw a cat.  The cat was just looking out the window, observing the world.  So I stared it down, because I appreciate the eye contact.  The cat returned my stare and then, and I am not making this up, gave me the "What's up" head nod.  You know, that little upwards motion of the chin that just says, "What's up?"  The cat gave me one.  It was at the same time the most hilarious and most disturbing thing I've seen for a while.
 
Here's some quick film reviews:
Anchorman - hilarious.  I had been building it up in my mind for months, quoting the trailer and other footage (Andy: The arsonist had oddly-shaped feet.), so I don't think anything could have lived up to my expectations, but it came close.  If you see it, be sure to stay for the bonus footage during the credits - it's some of the best stuff in the film.  Yay for improv.
 
Fahrenheit 9/11 - Very powerful film.  Should you just accept everything in it as truth?  No, of course not.  It's a political viewpoint expressed through film and, as such, is biased.  But I think you should see it even, perhaps especially, if you disagree with that viewpoint.  Anyway, it made me cry and made me very angry.
 
The Corporation - Wow.  Lots of great documentaries out right now and this one is a killer.  Did you know that a corporation is recognized by our government as a living entity?  Did you also know that if you were to examine the institution of the corporation from a psychological standpoint, it would be considered psychopathic?  Man, I was anti-big business before, but now I want to make some giant puppets and protest outside the WTO meetings. 
 
Speaking of documentaries, Control Room and Outfoxed! are next on my list.  They're both on the media, one of my favorite topics.  I can't wait to graduate so I can become part of the vast liberal media conspiracy. 
 
Dad will be so proud.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! As much as I am so not a cat fan, I have to say, cats know much more than we give them credit for. I am putting in my vote to say the random "Chicago Moments" are incredibly humorous and easy to imagine. Thanks for sharing! Ps. I am noticing that most of your film reviews involve docs or slapstick comedy...how about a balance? Do romantic comedies or action/adventure not have a place in your heart? How will I know what to see?
Allyn

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Yeah, let me run out and see The Notebook for you, Allyn. I'll get right on that.

Anonymous said...

Tim,
I'll be sure to see Anchorman asap, but for right now, I'll just be fine with 183 runny noses, or 366 runny nostrils, whichever you want to count by.
-josh

Allyn, I'd love to see the Notebook.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

HLUH!! (vomit noise)

Anchorman, incidentally, is another PG-13 that makes full use of its 1 F-bomb. That's such a dumb rule, but I love watching for it.

Anonymous said...

Am I really weird if I want to see both 9/11 and The Notebook? The Mom Meister

Anonymous said...

Tim, just because you don't think the girl in the Notebook is hot, doesn't mean the movie isn't a must see! Let me guess, you will be seeing Cinderella Story, for content reasons only? Ha! Come on, where is the well rounded guy I thought I met? :)
And for Josh, you are the best movie date ever, so you bet I'd see the Notebook with you, and any other movie...except Dawn of the Dead. I don't care how much I love you.
And for the Mom Meister, you really want to see 9/11? Very intriguing. What's your input on Saved?

Allyn

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Okay, Allyn. You've obviously called me out here, so let's get a few things straight.

It's not that the girl in The Notebook isn't hot. It's Rachel McAdams, who was the head mean girl in Mean Girls, which was fantastic. And she's pretty cute. The problem is that it's more syrupy than Aunt Jemima, which, for an advertising icon based on a slave, has shown surprising longevity. Anyway, I watched the trailer.

I also will not be seeing A Cinderella Story. Right now, in this day and age, I believe that we as Americans could fall on one of two sides. Not Kerry or Bush. No sir. The true issue of our day is this - Duff or Lohan. And as for me and my house, we will be on the side of Miss Lindsay Lohan, who was in Mean Girls, which was fantastic.

Last but not least, stop throwing around the "L word" on my blog. It's my only place of refuge and you and Josh are forcing me to make the fake throw-up sound. Come on now.