7.07.2004

Macky's back in town...

Well, I'm back in Chicago after an amazing time in Cornerstone. I will now attempt to summarize my experience in a series of awards.

- Best performance: Tie - Sleeping at Last and Anathallo. Sleeping at Last turned in one of the most musically beautiful performances I've heard in a while. I can't believe they sound like they do with only three musicians and a backup track or two. Amazing. And Anathallo is quite simply the most fiercely creative band I've ever seen. Gotta give props to a band that has a horn section with three trombones and a flugelhorn. Especially when that horn section randomly does percussion, either by beating on huge drums or simply clapping and stomping. My favorite part was when a song ended with all 8 or so members shouting Psalms 123 in Japanese.

- Biggest disappointment: What's the opposite of passing with flying colors? Is it failing with crawling monochromes? If so, then Jon Bunch, formerly of the band Sensefield, now the new vocalist of Futher Seems Forever, failed with crawling monochromes. No stage presence, zero energy, and vocals that just didn't merit support. Very sad that it's the first time FsF played main stage and they were so bad. The audience around me actually applauded when Jon announced the last song.

- Most sentimental performance: Bleach. Last time they'll ever play Cornerstone and they rocked just as hard as ever. I might get to see them once more, but I already miss them.

- Most pointless band: The Insyderz. Hey, good for them for mounting a comeback and all, but I think I liked them better the first time. When they were called The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

- Best merch deal: Anathallo - all three CDs and a T-shirt for $25. Can't beat it.

- Biggest downgrade: The O.C. Supertones. You'd think their popularity would be soaring because of the hit TV show "The O.C." But no, they were downgraded to Encore 1 after playing the main stage for years. Even worse, Relient K and Switchfoot, two bands that opened for the 'Tones on the same tour, played the main stage to huge crowds the same night.

- Funniest sight: Hardcore dancing - perhaps the funniest thing I have ever seen, which is appropriate because hardcore is the silliest genre ever. I will now be going to hardcore shows just for the dancing, which, if you've never seen, is a crazy mix of gymnastics, martial arts, and cartharsis.

I suppose that's enough. Anyway, it was a great festival and we only got rained on a couple times. Props to my yellow poncho.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you mean Josh's yellow poncho? Mom

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Oh right. Josh's yellow poncho. Thanks, Mom. Props to Josh's yellow poncho and to Josh for unwittingly lending it to me.