7.12.2005

Perhaps funny?

I've been up since 4:30 this morning. It's now midnight. This can mean only one thing: I'm on vacation.

I'm in my aunt and uncle's house in Boca Raton, FL right now. I'm hanging out with my two younger cousins, watching, at various points during this evening, parts of Anchorman, Dodgeball, Jumanji, and a lovely little piece of cinema from 1986 entitled The Manhattan Project.

It seems that my younger cousin, Quinn, has taken a fancy to TiVoing what he calls "cheesy 80's movies." Keep in mind that Quinn is 13 and by no means should be able to reference cheesy 80's movies. We were having a discussion about a particularly good one, Cloak and Dagger, when he dropped this line of the day:

"Do you remember any other cheesy 80's movies? Perhaps D.A.R.Y.L.?"

Yeah, my 13-year-old cousin referenced D.A.R.Y.L. You know, Data Analyzing Robotic Youth Lifeform, a lovely little gem from 1985. And he said perhaps. "Perhaps D.A.R.Y.L.?" I'm hoping the humor comes across, because I laughed for 2 minutes straight. At least.

I jump on a small cargo plane with a load of produce and maybe a few other passengers tomorrow on my way to the islands. I'll try to keep you updated on my adventures and maybe even some pictures of paradise, that is if we don't get an unwanted visit from Emily. I've already met a few forces of nature named Emily. I'd rather not meet another.

3 comments:

Rob said...

The best part about sleep deprevation, is how funny everything is. How funny you think you are. How funny you think everybody else is. How funny you think your cereal looks. It's a great time.

If you have problems with Emily, just give her flowers. Works on every other female I know. Just throw some port-side towards her and I'm sure she'll calm down.

Scott said...

Ironic, we were both watching movies of questionable cinematic value. Which is not to say that John Lithgow wasn't brilliant in the role. Still, I have to love that Quinn is interested in 80's movies. I mean, he was born in 1992! That year I was watching X-Men and wondering if it's ok to admit to watching the occasional Power Rangers episode (it's not). Crazy.

The humor behind "Perhaps, D.A.R.Y.L." came through nicely. Precocious little scamp isn't he? Anyway, hunker down if Emily heads your way, and just hope that the weather man doesn't mention the hurricane talking about how punk rock it is.

- Scott

Timmy Tapeworm said...

How punk rock it is...heh heh. Nice.