7.13.2005

Today

Today was a good day.

Today I learned that Hurricane Emily thinks she's too punk rock for this latitude and is going way south of where we are.


Today I flew in a six-seat, double-prop plane to the Bahamas with a carton of strawberries behind me and a Jewish podiatrist in front of me.


Today I regularly saw boats that cost over a million dollars and didn't blink or even drool.

Today I watched about 10 nurse sharks gather by the dock in hopes of catching some fish guts from the worker cleaning fish.

Today I was very careful while walking on the dock.

Today I gave bread to wild pigs and gave looks to wild Spaniards.

Today I snorkeled and saw coral that looked like my brain and fish that looked like my screensaver.

Today I stood on a sand bar in the middle of the Caribbean. It was only three feet deep.

Today I shouted, "LET'S PLAY FUNNY/NOT FUNNY!!" just to see if anyone in the Bahamas likes Wonder Showzen.

Today I kept a running count of how many times I hit my head while walking inside the boat and only had to go to three.

Today I saw water so blue that I thanked God that there was a part of the world we haven't messed up yet.

Today I thought about guessing "Transatlanticism" because Track #5 has ba-bas, but I didn't.

Today I thought a lot about how things are and how things should be.

Today I didn't come to many conclusions.

Today...

Today I sighed as the boat gently rocked me to sleep and thought, "What will happen tomorrow?"

8 comments:

Scott said...

I love posts like this. The thing is, I can't pull them off. It's not that I couldn't entertain in that format, I think that I could, it's that I tend to elaborate on things, tell all sorts of nuancy stuff, then tie it into a series of jokes. I mean, just look at that last sentence. I think you see my point.

Still, glad you're enjoying the area. The last time I was there (sailing) I slept every night on the deck of the boat and one morning woke up to dolphins. I decided to follow them in the dinghy and see if I could get close enough to touch them. Well, I had been paddling toward them with the oars, but when I went to go back to the boat I noticed how far the current had taken me. And worst of all the engine wouldn't start. Turns out, it takes a key. One that was back on the boat.

Luckily my dad had woken up and stepped up to the deck for some coffee and to check up on me. He swam (with the current) the key out to me. I appreciated it, but I have to wonder if I could have convinced the dolphins to pull me back to safety. They've been known to rescue men at sea.

- Scott

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are fitting nicely into the island mentality, Tim. Nice and slow, easy does it. Just remember to watch your head. Mom

Anonymous said...

Today I played "what gender? what gender?" and came up blank.

I still can't figure it out, and it's really bothering me.

Glad to see you found a peaceful escape from your stressful life in Illinois. And by stressful I mean lazy. Wild Spaniards might stress me out a little though.

Keri

Jake said...

You call me emo, then post things like this?!

Jake said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
C_thegreat said...

It fit in poetically. That's all I have to say about that detail, I guess, the same group has something to say about hindsight as well.
That may have not made any sense.

But you know those times when an emotion hits you dead on and you get physical reactions from it? Rarely am I left without a label for stuff like that. I don't even know what department to file it under even on this occasion...

I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm mainly just trying to say something that I don't even know what it is. But cards are starting up in the kitchen now, so I'm going to go get in on it. I enjoyed your post greatly.
~c

Rob said...

So would you have said that:
Today is the greatest day I'd ever known...

In other news I've picked a name for a ridiculous punk/emo haircut. The one where your hair is long in the front but shorter everywhere else just so you can have "short hair" yet still have bangs hang over your eyes. I call it a "Tellum". Get it? Cause it's backwards... yeah. That's what I think about at work sometimes.

Anonymous said...

...so what happened tomorrow?