7.17.2005

Tomorrow

Today I decided to use a different format for my blog posting.

Namely...PICTURE POST!! *alarms, sirens, claxons, etc.* Whoop whoop whoop whoop!! Also, woot!

(If you're curious as to what exactly happened "tomorrow," technically speaking what happened was we didn't have Internet access. But other stuff happened too. Here's a rundown, complete with pic-a-tures.)



This is the mighty vessel I find myself aboard: Chartwell is her name. You might not think that you could live for an extended period of time on it, but you'd be wrong. It's Hambone. There is a surprising amount of stuff packed in there - a small kitchen and den, the main bedroom and guest bathroom, a couple bunks, and two heads (that's boatspeak for bathroom). I hear that 9 people have stayed onboard at one time. It's great, although the ceilings are very low. The "hit my head" count is at 11, although only one of those really hurt and made me swear in my own language. (It also left a mark.)

Here are the cast of characters:



This is my Uncle Charles. He's such a good businessman, he needs two computers. I'd say that he looks like he could be in Hackers, but they're obviously not Macs, so that wouldn't work. He pilots the ship and the dinghy most of the time and does a darn good job of it.



This is my Aunt Molly and I standing in front of the skeletal remains of a sperm whale that died from ingesting a plastic bag. Way to go, stupid whale. Loser. Molly is the crazy aunt that sends me weird postcards and news articles when I'm at school and makes art from things she finds on beaches and in dumpsters. I'd call her my weird aunt, but that term really doesn't carry a lot of weight in this family. She's been sailing forever and her sailing knots kick my sailing knots all around the harbor.



This is the real captain of the ship. Paca is a 13-year-old Weimaraner who believes that she's the captain, we're the crew, and our job is to take her to interesting places. Despite her being a dog, this is pretty much true. Sometimes she acts like a bossy old lady and she's mostly deaf, but she's still a lot of fun. I talk to her and it makes me laugh. She also farts a lot. And it smells.



If she uses you as a pillow, it means you're in.



This is what greeted me upon arrival. The Staniel Cay Yacht Club is vastly overnamed, I'll just say that. You're pretty much looking at it. Nice place though.



This is the aforementioned sandbar that was only three feet deep. The island behind me was the closest piece of land. It was very...cool. (Man, I'm writing well today. Guess I can only be poetic once a trip.)



When people clean fish, the fish guts have to go somewhere. For good times and great entertainment, you can dump the guts in the water near the dock and have a party with these awesome guys. Hey, we have satellite, but we only get about three channels. This is about the most exciting thing we do around here.



I fly thousands of miles away from rural Illinois and I still can't get away from the farm animals. These are wild pigs that live on one of the islands. People bring stuff in their dinghys to feed them, so they're used to people. Here I'm feeding them bread. When they know you have stuff, they group up and run at you. It's actually really freaky. Strangely, someone left a bunch of cats on the same island, expecting them to survive. But they're not as fun to feed because cats are evil.



Here I am in Exhuma Park, an obviously beautiful place. Note the awesome new hat and sunglasses by Target. I live large, you all know that. Our days are filled with snorkel expeditions, beach visits, and not too much else. It's wonderfully relaxing...



EXCEPT WHEN A FOREST FIRE BREAKS OUT ON THE ISLAND!! Good Lord. It was Saturday and we were just sitting down to lunch when we saw plumes of black smoke coming from the south end of the island we were anchored off of. So we called it in to the Ranger Station and they said they weren't burning anything (they sometimes burn garbage), so we took the dinghy around to check it out...



...and were promptly put to work as volunteer firefighters. (That's me in the back, pulling hose. And no, that's not a euphemism.) While I pulled the hose and tended the pump, other people were bringing buckets of water and using shovels to make a firebreak. I mean, it's not like the Rangers were unprepared or anything - no, they had a few guys, a boat, a pump, and a not long enough hose with no nozzle. Totally ready for any disaster. At any rate, they eventually put out the raging inferno and we were on our way to the next adventure.



Why
ARE there so many songs about rainbows? I think it's 'cause they're so pretty.

I have a couple days left on the boat, then it's back to Ft. Lauderdale for a few days with my awesome cousins. Then back to boring old Illinois and some stupid wedding, I guess...

Speaking of stupid people and their weddings, how are my new Sufjan Stevens CDs, brother?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paca is offened by the comments about her superior farting capabilites. Nuclear waste should not be treated with such blatant disregard!

Tim wasn't really feeding the pigs, they just liked the way he smelled so they gathered around.

No ransom has been paid for Tim's safe return to Illinois, so he might just be stuck on a deserted isle for a while longer...without miniature chocolate bars.

Scott said...

Holy Crap! You listen to Sufjan Stevens? Did you as well laugh at "Come on feel the Illinoise"? Because come on, that was pretty hilarious. Come to think of it, that would be a pretty money song for you to be listening to on the boat right now; what with the happy horn part and all. And yes, that WAS innuendo.

In other news I'd like to talk about the "But you'd be wrong, it's hambone." Is this a callback of a reference to a Jack Handy bit from 9 years ago? Seriously. Jack wore it out. Not you too Timmy, NOT YOU TOO! But 'Deep Thoughts' double references aside, I'm glad you're having fun on the boat hanging with the bitches. Well, one bitch. And I'm refering to the female dog here, I'm sure your aunt is a wonderful person. She IS ferrying you around the Carribean afterall. So good thing you aren't complaining...

Oh wait, you ARE complaining. Looking down your nose at watching the stingray's scavenge? Tisk tisk. Anyway, it's late, I'm tired and I still need to photo post about MY escapades, so I'm cutting this comment short. Godspeed and enjoy the fishes man,

- Scott

P.S. By "short" I meant short for me, which is anything less than constitition length. Just thought I'd clear that up.

P.P.S. By "constitution" I meant the U.S. Constitution. Didn't want to confuse you. Other countries have shorter or longer ones. Some of them also use theirs. Ok. Last one. Promise.

P.P.P.S. Ok, sorry. I just wanted to explain that I'm getting out a six year relationship, so I'm a little weird right now. It's not you, it's me. So I apologize. I'm just saying that I'm abou-

P.P.P.P.S. Damn it, your comment machine cut me off sorry I was just saying that I'm about to head out. Ok, I'm done now.

Anonymous said...

Dear Tim,

Please buy a new hat asap.

Sincerely,

Keri

Rob said...

I second the new hat movement.

You should get the Charles in Charge theme song and play it over the boats PA system everytime you dock somewhere as your uncles theme song.

I've dealt with 2 Mac fanatics at The Buy so far... not a fan.

I don't understand these hambone statements. Neither Dictionary.com or Urbandictionary.com had an appropriate solution for me either.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Middy - I do smell quite a bit at this point, but when personal hygiene on the boat consists of swimming, you take what you can get.

Scott - Yeah, Sufjan is one of my favorites, even more so now that he's made "Illinoise" such an early entry into his 50 States project. I ordered that and "Seven Swans," but they arrived a day after I left on vacation. So Josh is the only one who's heard them.

P.S. Your comments are long.

Keri and Rob - Man, to heck with you guys! I like my new hat. I think it makes me look like the guy from New Radicals. Whatever happened to that guy? Keri, you're not allowed to make fun until you can touch a manta ray without squeeling. And the rays here are about 10 times the size as the ones we saw and we're swimming right next to them. Deal with that. And Rob...shut up and plan the party.

Rob and Scott - The hambone statements are indeed a reference to Jack Handy's Deep Thoughts. The whole quote is this:

"If you saw two guys named Hambone and Flippy, which one would you think liked dolphins the most? I'd say Flippy, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong, though. It's Hambone."

But more importantly, it's a long-standing Ryder brothers running gag. Possibly the longest one on record. We're not sure.

My favorite quote in this comment:
"Man, to heck with you guys!" I like sounding like T-Rex in Dinosaur Comics.

Anonymous said...

It's been in the 100's and boring here in Cali, and you are in the Bahamas... life isn't fair...

I have a job, http://pacifictigers.collegesports.com/genrel/071405aab.html to read about it...

BTW, I have a cover of the theme to Charles in Charge by a NJ punk band named Adam's Not Funny... I know all the words to the song, I'm pretty sure you've heard me sing it before....


Alas, the Aquabats are in town today, and I don't think I'm going, sad times

C_thegreat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
C_thegreat said...

-->New Radicals guy, a.k.a. Alexander Something or Something Alexander.

He left because:
A) The lyrics to their one and only hit song (Get What You Give) were "misconstrued as disses" on "Beck and Hanson/Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson."
B) Stuff about the industry being corrupted and trying to stay "pure" or something like that.
C) He was going to try his hand at producing. I think there is a quote somewhere about him wanting to be like Babyface.
D) When Mandy Moore covers one of your songs (his lesser-known Someday We'll Know) and does better on it than you, then you know you're screwed.

There's probably an article somewhere on this topic, which would be incredibly more reliable than my rememberances full of "something this" and "something that"
I got the basic jist down though.

~c