6.30.2004

I'm out like the dudes in the Pride Parade

Okay, I wasn't going to mention it because it's kind of old news, but I just happened to allude to it in the subject, so I'll bring it up. I went to the Chicago Gay Pride Parade on Sunday. Here's what I have to say about it.

Wow.

I know I say that about a lot of things, but this is the most deserving "wow" situation EVER. It was a spectacle, to be sure. I saw a quite a few drag queens, some scantily-clad gay men, and oh yes, dykes on bikes. (Seriously, that's what the lesbian motorcycle group called themselves.) So it was quite an experience, to say the least.

After that, I continued in my great tour of Chicago culture by going to Taste of Chicago. Lots of great food there, but the most noteworthy thing I consumed was a cup of frozen grapes. Seriously, who knew a cup of grapes stored in a freezer could be so great? Not me.

But the thing I liked most was the entertainment. And not the big-time entertainment on the stages. I love the street entertainment like the psychic readings and the slight-of-hand magician and the really cool dude who covered himself with metallic silver paint and did the Robot for hours. Man, if you cover yourself in metallic silver paint, you better have the Robot to back it up. And he did.

But my absolute favorite had to be the Native American musician. He was playing the pan pipe (which I assume is a Native American instrument, even though I have always associated it with wood nymphs) and he was actually quite good. The trouble came with his song selection. He wasn't playing traditional native songs. He was playing pop songs arranged for the pan pipe. I heard him play (with backing track and all) Amazing Grace and Hey Jude. Well, we've done it. We have succeeded in completely appropriating Native American culture. Yay America!

Anyway, I go to Cornerstone Music Festival tomorrow and will be back in the big city on Tuesday. Pray for not-rain and have a great Fourth of July!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see things are going well for you in the big city Timmy. Wish I could say the same thing out here on the left coast (aren't we cool for knowing the difference between the right and the left). Just boring work (where I am as I post this) and several months without working with radio, which is driving me nuts. Taste of Chicago is fun, I think I may need to go try the frozen grapes thing. There are enough grapes in my town to have a few frozen (of course they're all wine grapes, but that's just semantics right?) for my enjoyment.

Timbo Tapey rocks (I just coined that nickname on the spot, and I think it blows away all others before it).

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Hi there, person on the left coast. Thanks so much for commenting. It's good to hear that things are well with you, although I have no idea who the crap you are because you didn't sign your name. I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out who you are, so please help me out.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Wait, is that Fox? I bet it's the Fox that rocks. I just figured it out. Dude on the left coast who works with radio and gives me stupid nicknames. I mean...cool nicknames. Okay, awesome. That's a load off my mind. Let this be a lesson to all. Sign your comments if you want to give me peace of mind.

Anonymous said...

Well, I saw immediately after I posted it that I had forgetten my name, but I love the since of adventure you had to experience in figuring it out.

Have a funny story, as my last couple days have been spent playing the new PS2 NCAA Football game, my friend made "Pile of Electronics State." Literally. They have their own team, the star QB is "8-Track" and the star running back? "Easy Bake Oven" Of Course!

I vow in the future to always sign my name

except now

oh wait, that'd be mean

Foxy