8.04.2004

Where have you gone, Zach Morris?

I love generational touchstones.

You know, those things that everyone in our generation just gets, regardless of how well it's been documented or even how much we talk about it. They're just things that we grew up with, so we all know them and can reference them at will and then laugh knowingly.

Take, for example, the concept of the Zach Morris cell phone. Mentioning of that phrase around almost anyone of our generation will immediately conjure up images of a giant, almost comically oversized cellular phone.

I bring this up because I happened to catch an episode of Saved By the Bell a while ago, and it just happened to be an episode where Zach answered his cell phone.

This touchstone didn't come out of nowhere, people. That thing was ginormous. Freaking huge.

Can you guys think of any other good ones?

P.S. Peasant's Quest (http://www.homestarrunner.com/disk4of12.html) is officially one of the greatest things the Brothers Chaps have ever produced. Anyone who grew up with Sierra games will laugh hysterically at some of the adventure game stereotypes they utilize. Plus, there's a great Swingers reference. When you walk out of a peasant woman's hut, it says "This place is dead anyway." So good.

P.P.S. I hope I'm not wrong about this generational touchstone thing. I bet I get a bunch of comments about how I'm crazy and it's just my group of friends who knows about this stuff. I look forward to that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That game is fun, however, it's frustrating as hades!! I'm currently stuck at 59 points with no clue what to do next. Freakin' lady stole my riches and gave me a baby! What's a single man to do with a random infant? Seriously. Now I can use some riches...oh yes.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Well, "don't sign your name person", the baby is truly one of the most valuable items in the game. Try doing stuff you would never do with a real baby - putting it down the well, throwing it in the lake, showing it to old people, and eventually just putting it in an abandoned hut. That baby is truly amazing!

Anonymous said...

okay timmy, one of my classic saved by the bell memories: jessie's melt down on those speed up pills and she kept singing, "i'm so excited...i'm so excited..i'm so scared." that was a quality emo moment. got to go, josh is quizzing me on saved by the bell trivia.
-a

Anonymous said...

Saved by the Bell, let's get serious, Dad and me, Saturday morning, on the couch, we were devoted. My favorite theme perhaps, rather then one moment, would have to be the thought that if one member of the gang was involved in any Bayside activites, EVERYONE was involved. Not only that, but they were only involved for approx. 23 minutes or the first activity they attended, whichever came first.
That and you could indeed kill a wooly mammoth with Zach's cell phone. A show that I would pay money to see, now that's good television.
-josh

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Yeah, great reference, Allyn. I never got addicted to caffeine pills because of that episode. But I can't believe you called it an "emo moment". You've been sucked in. Indoctrinated. There's no turning back now.

I agree, Josh. The Bayside gang had a great group mentality when it came to extra-curriculars. They really stuck together, God bless 'em. But I'm definitely going to have to call into question the idea of Dad sitting down to watch Saved by the Bell every week. I think this might be yet another example of what I like to call a Josh "manufactured memory". Allyn, be careful if Josh starts telling childhood stories because I swear he makes half of that crap up.

Anonymous said...

Ok. My frustrations outweigh my enoromous pride. I'm not gonna lie. I can't sort out that freakin' game. It's killing me. I've got soda and a sub and pills and a baby, but I don't know what else to do. I'm smart and creative. I should know this. Any guidance you may lend would be supremely superb. Please just make the nightmares stop...and the bad men go away....please...I beg it of you...

What? "It's just a game!" you say. Yeah? And you're ugly! ...I mean...I know it is. I'm sick. I'm OCD. That's why I need help. Not in the therapy sorta way. In the "I'm ok with cheating just show me the way already!" sorta way.

Oh. And my name is Zak. I'm super sexy and Allyn's "friend since we were this high" friend. Good day.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Hi Zak. Thanks for reading my blog. I'm glad you enjoy it. You didn't really say that you enjoy it, but I'm logically extrapolating your opinion for my own ego. So thanks!

You're in luck, my friend. I can certainly help you with Peasant's Quest. You need to use the baby for one last thing. Go to the mysterious hut in the south west corner. See what you can do with the baby there. The stonework on that hut looks a little shady...

Anonymous said...

Fina-freakin'-ly! I've been burninated! Woo! Hoo! The part that really burns though is that I tried throwing the baby at the 'cottage' like 50xs. Stone... Why couldn't I just type 'stone' once? Was that too much to ask? Apparently it was. Oh well.

Thank you Master Chief. I'm officially eternally in debt to you. And I'm ok with that.
--lil z