8.01.2004

Long live the Swedish chef

I came to a revelation this weekend. And it had nothing to do with The DaVinci Code, although I am quickly getting sucked into that book, only a year or so after the rest of the English-speaking world. No, the revelation I came to was this:

The Muppets are funny.

Not only that, but the Muppets have been funny for a long time. In fact, I feel quite confident in saying that the Muppets will always be funny. The reason I say this is because I watched "Muppet Treasure Island" this weekend and even though it's supposed to be just a silly kid's movie, I still laughed quite a bit. I just loved to see the random ways they worked in some of my favorite characters, like the Swedish chef and Waldorf and Statler (the old guys in the balcony, or in this movie, on the front of the ship). It was so great.

And the thing is, the old Muppet movies still hold up. I remember going on a road trip a couple years ago with some college friends and watching a tape of The Great Muppet Caper. Now, that movie was made in 1981 and this copy was taped off TV a few years later (the mid-80's era ads were great). And it still made me laugh more than most of the stuff that comes out today. I can't tell you how tempted I am to purchase that Time-Life collection of "The Muppet Show". So go watch some Muppet stuff today. If you don't enjoy it, you're much too jaded for this world.

Oh, and who doesn't love "The Rainbow Connection"? Are you kidding me? Best. Song. Ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim,
I am taking Swedish this fall, and I have to cook most of my meals this year, so does that kind of make me a swedish chef? Just wondering. Hope the rest of your summer goes well!
Paul