9.09.2004

A disturbing trend

I've noticed something very disturbing as I walk around campus this fall. It seems that all of my worst fears have been realized. The very essence of my nightmares have taken form in reality. This could only be a sign of the Apocalypse.

The preppy look is back.

That's right. There's been a sudden increase of Izod polo shirts, pressed khakis, and (this is the worst part) flipped-up collars on Drake's campus. Seriously, flipped-up collars. All these frat boys wearing brightly colored polo shirts are flipping up their collars like they've been doing it all their lives. But here's the worst part:

They're doing it without a trace of irony.

No wink-wink, nudge-nudge, "I know this looks ridiculous but it's okay because I'm aware of it" attitude can be detected in these specimens. They honestly think it looks good. And that, my friends, is the saddest part of all.

So if you know someone that's been afflicted with this sudden and terrible disease, be a real friend and do them a favor. Show them some pictures of people in the 80's when the preppy look was in. Then make them look in the mirror. We can only pray that the jagged shards of their shattered psyche can make the connection that indeed, they too look ridiculous.

God save the wannabe-preppies.

(This message has been brought to you by your friendly neighborhood wannabe-emo kid.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's wrong wit poppin' a collar? that's how we rock out in nY.
miss ya Tiiiiimmmmmmm

Ur one and Only
Wasabi

Anonymous said...

I feel ya on da whole preppy craptastic look, yo. Why day b tryin sumpin so stoopid? Damn! When da peeps gonna c dat day b lookin da foo weeerin all dis shite? (sometimes I like talking all ghetto...I don't know why)

Anyway, preppy sucks. Flipped up collars....well not so much. It's all in how you do it. I personally don't engage in such activities. My mom frowns upon such rebellious behaviour...or she could. Whatever. The up-flipped collar is actually quite a British/James Dean sorta deal which means wicked cool you know.

I'm sure the preppy turds you see everyday don't reflect such hip-coolness so I feel your pain. Stand firm. Fight the good fight. And flip down those freakin' collars before they make a mockery of your institution...or something. Word.

My name is Zak but everyone calls me Zak.

Anonymous said...

Oh. I almost forgot....BLOG!! Ok bye.

Anonymous said...

Hey Timmy, to be honest with you I think you can make a definite distinction with the whole flipped up collar thing. I mean, I may throw on a jeans jacket, with flipped up collar and feel rather trendy. But as I walked past some guy in a salmon polo with the collar flipped up I would probably laugh and flash back to the '80s. Oh crud. Does this mean I need an intervention?
al
ps. I emailed strong bad yesterday and hope that I get a reply before you or Josh because then I would be the coolest ever. ( that is so not my competitiveness talking either, ha!)

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but unfortunately, all high schools in the Central California area have the same problem...

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Okay, so perhaps I was a little quick to judge the flipped-up collar look. Or at least to make a blanket statement over the entire flipped-up collar camp. I think we can agree that there is a spectrum of coolness when is comes to this practice, and we need to delineate between sections. So let's review:

50's style, James Dean-esque flipped-up collar: Cool.
80's style, preppy-esque flipped-up collar: Not cool.
Referring to the practice as "popping" a collar: Ridonkulous.

Anonymous said...

Tim,
As a fraternity member at the school with the largest "greek" population, I want to say that I am sorry for all the "preps" that walk around with the flipped up collars. I will admit to wearing the khaki's and polo's, but thats cause I like them, however I am grossly disturbed to hear that people are wearing their collars flipped up. The 80's were like 20 years ago, no one does that anymore. I can say with confidence, that the flipped up collar wearers must be losers. Hope that everything is going well.
Paul

Anonymous said...

I agree that the flipped up collar looks ridiculous but so was the rest of the 80's. Which is what most of the appeal (at least for me) is. Since I was born in the middle of the 80's I was never really able to fully enjoy the over the top fashions.

-Random Web Surfer