9.12.2004

Still drunk with power

Had a pretty exciting experience last night. KDCS (our campus radio station) was hired to provide the music at Drake athletic events. And last night was our first home football game of the season. To top it off, it was at night - the first night football game at Drake since 1960. So there was a huge crowd there (almost 9,000 - last year's season high was less than half that), and I was in charge of the music being piped over the speaker system before and after the game. No pressure.

Early in the evening, I decided that the worst possible thing I could do would be to play something during the moment of silence for September 11. And if I didn't do that, everything else would be okay. Well, I didn't do that. And everything else was okay.

(That's a good technique for dealing with pressure. Think of the worst thing you could possibly do, then don't do it. Man, I should write a book.)

So I had 9,000 people there to force my musical opinion on. So what did I do? I played The Format. And of course, something cool happened. Some other guy working for Drake athletics came up and complimented my music choice. Turns out he went to high school with Nate, the lead singer. They were good friends - went to prom together and everything. So that was really cool, but I wonder if he gets mad when he hears the line "Old classmates please drop all your pens, don't write a word 'cause I won't reply." I probably would. Stupid Nate - thinks he's all cool because he's in a band.

My brother's girlfriend thinks that line is "Old classmates, please drop all your pants." I think that's gross. (Yeah, that's right, Allyn. I said it.)

The booth where I sat in the press box was ridiculously hot because we couldn't get the window out. That was not awesome. What was awesome were the three opposing coaches in the booth next to me. They would periodically get really excited and yell at their team. I found that hilarious. And almost 9,000 people listened to music that I like. Hence the "drunk with power." And here's the best part:

I only had to play that stupid "Hey" song once.

Timmy Tapeworm - making stadium soundtracks better, one song at a time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim!! I can't even believe you did that. (Note to self, be careful what you say around Tim as it could find itself on a blog for everyone to know.) This is exactly why I try to suggest other things for your "material" so you won't use me. I feel I should just clarify, people always say when you give a speech to picture everyone in the audience in their underwear. So the line says, classmates please drop all your pants, then you'd be in your underwear and I'd feel comfortable giving my speech. Obviously! Josh are you out there? Speak up man, and say something to redeem your girlfriend. :)
al

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Josh can't help you now, Allyn! He's living in a dorm that used to be a stable! No internet to be found in the entire place! You're entirely at my mercies BWAH HA HA HA!!

P.S. BA HA HA!

Anonymous said...

Aww come on now. How are you gonna try and push the responsibility for YOUR potty mind onto poor Josh? How's that fair. Haha! What's the man to do about it anyway...sheesh lady.

el Zako