1.25.2005

No jokes here, ironically.

I normally shy away from serious subjects on this blog of mine. It seems the world is often too serious for its own good, so why should it be perpetuated in this space? But I feel I would be remiss if I did not comment on the passing of Johnny Carson.

I've spent quite a bit of time today watching videos of news coverage on the Internet and I made it a point to catch The Tonight Show, which had some great guests and was very touching. Kind of a strange thing for me to do, considering I don't think I've ever seen Carson host a show, except in clips. I was not yet 10 years old when he stepped down from his hosting duties. I doubt I'd even stayed up until 10:30 at that point. So why was I so saddened at the passing of an entertainer I barely knew?

I don't know, really. Maybe I recognized his importance in the realm of entertainment. Maybe, as an amateur crafter of comedy, I felt he was a kindred spirit. Maybe he represented a simpler time when it was possible to have a uniting cultural touchstone...a time that, in today's increasingly fragmented world, is becoming impossible to return to.

Maybe it's all of these things. Like I said, I don't know. All I know is that we've lost someone very special and my heart is sad because of it.
He was before my time and of that, I am truly regretful. We will never see another quite like him.

Rest in peace, Johnny.

4 comments:

Rob said...

It's funny how it seems so inappropriate to make inappropriate statements about the passing of Johnny (Scott, we all know you CAN, you don't need to prove it). But I'm just saying, there's Princess Di jokes, Helen Keller jokes, President Bush jokes (oh wait, that hasn't happened yet - but whenever it does, you know that there will be jokes.) But when this legendary comedian passed away, nothing but austere reverence.

But after this, no more seriousness... ever.

Jake said...

Disco,

The Edsel,

Johnny Carson.


*opens envelope*


Things that are all dead!

HIYO!

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Rob - bonus points for using austere.

Jake - bonus points for making me almost want to hit you and then laugh. Well played.

Scott said...

I don't even want to. I feel as Tim does, sad but not really able to pinpoint why. I do remember watching Johnny with my parents when I was very, very young. Then getting upset when this new guy (Leno) took over. It's strange, but it isn't even something I would really consider making fun of.

Which is even stranger considering if the pope kicked tomorrow I'd have a few one liners ready to go. But Johnny will be missed. I'm just glad he was paid homage to in one of the best Tonight Shows I've seen in a long time.

- Scott

P.S. Although that *was* pretty funny Jake.