1.27.2005

Scam of the century

Okay, back to the frivolity.

And it doesn't get more frivolous than this, let me tell you. So it's my last semester at Drake and in order to graduate with honors (which my extreme internal desire to overachieve tells me I must do), I have to do a senior thesis. Most people do huge research papers or some sort of critical examination of some issue they've been learning about. I thought about doing that, but it sounded like a lot of work. And about zero fun.

I'll graduate with a major in Public Relations and a minor in Marketing, but my true passion, as many of you know, is comedy. And my all-time favorite class I've taken here at Drake was called Modern Political Satire. So I went to the professor who taught the course and told her that I wanted to do what amounts to an extended satire project for my thesis. Here's what I proposed:

A sketch comedy satirical revue, in the style of Second City, with short sketches, longer group scenes, blackouts, comedic monologues, and maybe even some songs. I would write it and the presentation would consist of some staged readings and a couple prepared performances.

She loved it and agreed to be my thesis advisor. I have to write a proposal and get the Honors people to accept it, but I've already got verbal agreement from one of the professors. Think about it - if this works out, I could be writing a comedy show for my senior Honors thesis. I can't believe how brilliant it is.

I was trying to name it while lying awake in bed the other night. Many of the titles for Second City revues have come from a play on words with a famous phrase from literature. For example, their current etc revue is titled "From Fear to Eternity." So I tried to work that angle, using something from Drake. I thought about maybe "The Drakes of Wrath" or "All's Quiet on the Western Side of Campus." But then it hit me.

"MuckDrakers."

A clever localization and a nod to the glorious heyday of investigative journalism. It was a fun little epiphany and I really like it. So I've got the title. That's the hardest part, I hear. Should all be downhill from here. Anyway, I'll keep you updated on the status of this thing - maybe post some sketches as I write them, ask what you think. Any ideas you guys come up with are welcome.

Because you know there's going to be some kind of sketch about blogging.

6 comments:

Rob said...

Hey Tim, let me know when your hand gets tired. From tooting your own horn I mean.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Make no mistake Rob, I AM awesome. I know this. I just wish you could accept it and be happy.

Scott said...

I did it, I frickin' did it. I can't believe it. My arrogance has finally rubbed off on Tim. Wow. Let me just bask in this grand accomplishment. I've corrupted an innocent, I feel so "Cruel Intentions". Now where's my sister...

Moving right along, brilliant thesis idea. Despite Rob and I's making fun of you (you can see I have a ways to go with the learning of the English), I think we'd be glad to help. As a couple I speak for both of us. Unless that makes me the girl, in which case I don't.

And hey, with our help it might actually be funny. So there's that. Great title as well, MuckDrakers. Feel free to bounce some sketches off me I'll add my own comedic flair. And a generous helping of offensive material. Hopefully you can distill from that what you can present to the professors.

I think I can have fun with this...


- Scott

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Some of it might be Drake-specific humor, so I can't guarantee you'll get all the jokes, but I think we've got the makings of a crack staff here. Now, to make myself do that proposal...

Anonymous said...

As a Drake alum, I can say that somebody needs to make some humor out of that school! Keep up the good work Tim.
Amy

Anonymous said...

This is a brilliant idea. I'm jealous of your brilliance. Stop it. You make the rest of us (read: me) look bad.

Joanna