4.06.2005

A DICEY to remember

Monday night was an unusual, but memorable night at DICEY. The national champeenship game was going on (stupid Tar Heels...grr...) so our normal rehearsal space was abuzz with activity. A bunch of guys sitting around playing pool and watching the game, girls feigning interest but really gossiping with other girls who are not even pretending to be interested, and people studying (who DOES that?!) made the stage not a good choice for DICEY. So we did what any good improv troupe would do - we moved outside.

In the renovation of our quad that took place a few years ago, they put in a reflecting pool (which is still conspicuously empty) and this thing called an agora. It's very Greek in nature and has nice columns and whatnot. It's basically an outdoor stage that is very rarely used. Not once have I seen someone orate there. And that's a shame.

Anyway, it was really nice, so we went to DICEY in the agora, which was pretty fun. And after our performance on Thursday (in which we played pretty much every game we know), I felt pretty gamed out, so I thought the night was right for experimentation. Wait....what? Oh, no! Not that kind of experimentation! IMPROV experimentation, you perverts. We tried our hand at long-form and it was a great time. I taught the troops the basics of Harold-like editing and we just went at it. Nothing I would ever consider putting up for public display, but a fun experiment nonetheless. We got an inside look at a papal campagin that promised every mythological holiday creature their own place in Catholic canon, the true feud between robins and sparrows, and what happens when a character gets written out of reality TV. I think a few more nights at the agora will be in order before the semester comes to an end.

Here's the best news I've heard for a while:

Stryper signed to BIG3 RECORDS

The multi-platinum and Billboard charting legendary rock band Stryper have signed a multi-album deal with Big3 Records. The band will release their first full-length studio record since 1991 this year. The official release date will follow soon.

To hell with the devil, kids...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used the Agora for freshman welcome weekend. There was some band thing in the fall that went on on that stage as well. so... um... take that!
PS thanks for DICEY, it is one of my favorite things at school, I don't think I've taken the opportunity to tell you that.

Scott said...

I cringe every time I hear about DICEY, not out of annoyance, but jealousy. I loved doing improv at the highschool and really wish my school was less lame, and offered something like that. But then you have to look at the people of my school, by and large pretty lame. But it's just 10 months to freedom baby!

Anyway, have fun with your improv...jerk. Sorry, there's that jealousy again.

- Scott

Anonymous said...

Cardinals and blue jays, Tim! It was cardinals and blue jays!!! NOT robins and sparrows!

I can't believe you didn't catch the spin off of the Pope campaign bits.

Keri