11.03.2005

Another improviser in Chicago? Good, we were lacking for them.

It strikes me that I've yet to speak of my improv classes here in Chicago, which is odd as improv is a pretty big reason why I'm here in the first place. I've taking two classes right now:

Second City - Level A: This is the quintessential "So You Want to Improvise" class. There's lots of silly mirroring exercises and much discussion of the principles of improv without actually doing much of it. Not in scenic format, anyway. I just had my third of eight classes a few days ago (this one is on Sunday afternoons) and toward the end of class we did our first real improvised scenes. This is awesome for someone who's never improvised before and is scared to death of it (as some members of my class are, and they're adorable), but a little basic for someone like me who's been improvising for a while. So I scheduled an audition for the Conservatory Program to see if I can get into that. Many of my improviser friends recommended I do this, since it saves time and money, so I thought I'd give it a shot. The teacher is great, though and the class is fun. Just a little slow for my tastes.

ComedySportz - 202: I took 101 last summer during my internship, so I get to rock out in 202 now, which is all scenic improvisation. This class is much more to my liking - no more babying you onto stage, just get out there and let's start making stuff up. My teacher is awesome and my classmates are pretty fun, so we have a good time, doing lots of different character and emotion exercises and learning great ComedySportz games. The best part is that we get a real show at the end of our class, and somehow it worked out that we get the whole show to ourselves (normally, you have to split it with another class). At least that's what they said one week. We'll see. Looks like it's scheduled for Dec. 18 at 4:00 pm, for those of you interested.

Anyway, I have a homework assignment this week. I have to come up with 10 foolproof scene initiations. These are lines of dialogue that set up a scene and give your scene partners some idea who you are, who they are, where you are, and what's going on. Not all of those conditions need to be satisfied in one line - that would be unwieldy and unnatural, but it's get at least a couple of those in there. Something like:

"Okay everybody, listen up! If you all listen to me, you're going to walk out of here a million dollars richer!"

OR

"Your mother and I are very confused, sweetheart. You say it was your teddy bear that killed all those people?"

See! Instant hilarity! Because little girls pinning violent crimes on their stuffed animals = funny! HA HA HA!! ZZZZZzzzzzzz. (I'm stealing bits from Tara now. Take that, Tara.)

Now I'm not asking you to help me do my work. That would be cheating and all of mine would be better than yours anyway. (Need I remind you of the bit with the teddy bear? Eh? EH?!) But I thought it would be fun to open it up to the people at large. So come on, comic geniuses. Hit me with some funny. I know you don't have anything better to do.

4 comments:

tara d. said...

what do you mean, "now"? come on, ryder.

you should definitely audition to jump to the intermediate schoolin', glad you are.

though that teddy bear initiation was a question. tsk, tsk.

(it doesn't really matter.
does it?
?
...?)

Anonymous said...

Dec. 18th... WHERE IN CHICAGO!? I should be home then and would LOVE to see you perform!! :-D

~House

Anonymous said...

You know, my love, I would never have thought that a television would explosively to a mere five gallon of gasoline.

Such a majestic waterfall, isn't it? Now if only our boat hadn't run aground in those piranha infested waters, I would be enjoying it.

Wow, you're awfully tall for someone trying to peddle drugs from a stand in the Burger King parking lot.

Well class, once again you've all failed your exam. SECOND GRADERS SHOULD DO BETTER ON PRACTICE SATS!!!

Anonymous said...

An oldie but a goodie:

"Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?"