11.30.2005

Give thanks for lessons

Man, who posts over Thanksgiving break (or the two following days)? Not this guy!

I had a lovely time back in the field of Spring for a few days. Now that I'm back in Chicago and had some time to reflect on things, I've realized that, as with most of my vacations and breaks, I learned some valuable lessons. So, without further adieu, I present:

Things I learned over Thanksgiving Break:
  • I really have no right to call it "Thanksgiving Break." Oh really Tim? A break from what? Improv classes and a spotty wireless network? Yeah, rough life you got there. You need a break.

  • Sears is super flaky when it comes to hiring tall people to do promotions. The day after I said I couldn't work on Thanksgiving morning, I got an e-mail that said Sears canceled again, but those people who signed up to work would get $75 just for saying they would. DARN YOU, SEARS!!

  • Scott may completely fail to give blood once, but will pull himself together enough to get it right the second time. (This time, despite his head start, I definitely won. And don't buy his crap about inside vs. outside veins. I kicked his butt while he was flirting with the old nurse.)

  • Playing Loaded Questions with your gramma is hilarious.

  • Playing Imaginiff with Allyn's gramma is equally hilarious. I'm tempted to reveal some of her more surprising answers here, but they would probably just blow your mind.

  • You know, I'm just going to make a blanket statement and say that playing any board game with relatives, especially when there are multiple generations represented, is going to be pretty hilarious.

  • You may think you know my cousin Barry, but you have no idea. First I learn that the guy writes poetry, and last week, I learned he likes to "get jiggy with his bad self" when he hears rap music. Who knew? Not me.

  • Allyn being competitive is funny. Allyn trying (unsucessfully) to dial down her competitiveness is funnier.

  • Trying to find the pieces of the 30-year-old electric knife in the Ryder household is an epic task akin to assembling the Tri-force. The thing probably only sees use once a year and in the interim, gets disassembled to its various components, which are then stored in completely different and non-adjacent drawers. Josh and I are convinced that the only thing that keeps this thing from rusting away to nothing is the turkey grease gleaned from its previous use.

  • Guitar Hero with Josh and Rob is the most fun I've had playing video games in a long time. Thanks a lot, Guitar Hero. I've never wanted a PS2 more because of you. I'm well aware that I'd probably have to buy a new TV just to connect you (the greatest TV of all TVs, currently in my possession, is from the 70's and has not one, but two dials for the channel selection), but I don't care. Come on, high-paying job! Where are you when I need you?

  • "It's punk rock. How hard can it be?" are famous last words when attempting "I Wanna Be Sedated" on Expert level. I saw probably 12 bars of the song and didn't hit a single correct note before being booed off the stage.

  • There are some super-dedicated fans of The Office out there. Thanks to sites like Northern Attack, I learned that not only does Dwight have his own blog, but Pam, Ryan, Toby, Kevin, and Angela are all on MySpace. I'm now seriously considering joining MySpace just so I can be friends of fictional characters on my favorite TV show, because...come on. That's awesome.

  • The Ryder family Christmas tree expedition, despite being moved to a new location, still follows pretty much the same formula. That's comforting, in a way.
It's also just comforting to be home for a few days. Thanks to friends and family for all the good times. Coming up next...adventures in...temping?

10 comments:

Scott said...

Some thoughts, bulleted just like your post, but in no particular order.

* YOU POST RIGHT AFTER I FINISH MY COMMENT DERIDING YOU FOR NOT POSTING! How dare you? How DARE you be so prompt and service oriented.

* It wasn't my outside vein that lost the "who can bleed fastest" competition for me, but my Wolverine-like ability to heal so very quickly. My body actually built new veins to re-route around the one that was bleeding!

* Guitar Hero can be either the most fun game of all time, or the spawn of Satan, depending on how well you're doing.

* Guitar Hero, however, makes a good point when it advises "They don't really want you to play Freebird, they're heckling you." That's a heckle I use all the time, even for people I like. Once they actually played Freebird on the request of a heckler. It was awesome.

* I not long ago joined Myspace. Just so I could browse people's pictures. If someone I know isn't on Blogger, Xanga, Live Journal, or Facebook, it's almost a sure thing they're on My Space. Although I think it ranks even lower than Xanga for worst blogs ever.

* Pam totally wants me.

That is all.

- Scott

Anonymous said...

Here's my bullet point:

*dammit, Tim. You stole my comment with your first bullet point. How dare you preempt my pointing out the fact that you're unemployed!


Keri

C_thegreat said...

Hey, Field of Springs? are you stealing my valley of the apples?

Imaginiff is amazing and hilarious no matter who you play with. One of my favorite times with that was "John would be a crayon, because of his primary level of communication skills"

Why temp? You've already been offered one job... are you selectively leaving out the details of being rejected from 27 other places?

You know what rocks? Sitting at a desk from 2-7 a.m. Sunday mornings. I recommend it.

~c

Anonymous said...

Obviously he's stealing from my "Land of the Switzers."

And I'm not on blogger, xanga, myspace, livejournal, OR facebook. Instead of searching through my friends and reading their comments (excepting you, of course Tim) I organized my parents' cookbook cupboard. I'm such a loser.

J

Anonymous said...

You don't even know me, man! You...don't...even...know...me! Seriously though, I was probably just high on turkey acid or somethin'. Glad to see my holiday fun made the blog. Later.

BTD, D.C.

Rob said...

Tim, there's a good chance we'll bust out the Guitar Hero this weekend. I'll let you know how well Scott does. Or I'll just take a picture of him crying in the corner and post it for you.

Anonymous said...

"Allyn being competitive is funny. Allyn trying (unsucessfully) to dial down her competitiveness is funnier." this one made me laugh so hard tears came to my eyes...don't i know it...the competitive gene...we used to argue about chutes and ladders and candyland!!!!

Rob said...

You know you've really made it big when you can just bust out a post once a week and you're popular enough that your loyal fans wait patiently and then cling to your every word. When they have no problem reading and re-reading the same post day by day and being content just basking in the sheer brilliance of your week-old postings...

We'll let you know if you ever achieve that point. In the meantime, I'm sensing a riot a-brewin'

Scott said...

Totally. Who do you think you are, Zach Braff? Maybe the Dollar General version. Now back to work!

- Scott

Anonymous said...

i have to agree....unless you are dying in a corner or have had all your fingers cut off, there is no excuse. i strongly recommend you give the readers some new material...