11.10.2005

I hope I get it. Oh God, I hope I get it.

So...I'm pretty tall. Many of you are well aware of this. I've been that way for some time, and while it is occasionally an inconvenience or an irritant, I've made my peace with it.

Yet as I move into this strange world of improv and auditions and whatnot, I'm aware that my above-average height will probably knock me out of the running for a few things. I'm fully prepared to hear "You're absolutely hilarious and fantastic, but you're just too tall," quite a bit (probably without the first bit most often).

So imagine my surprise when my first potential gig demands it.

One of my roommates makes a little money doing promotions for companies. A lot of actors and improvisers in the city make money by passing out samples of FUZE or painting their faces blue and talking on cell phones in the El (I'm not making that up). This is the "guerrilla" or "encounter" marketing you hear about from time to time.

So my roommate told me about an upcoming promotion for Sears that required really tall people. Apparently, Sears was looking for about four people who are 6'5" or taller to pass stuff out downtown. The hook is that we're really big, but we're passing out really little coupon books, but at the same time, encouraging people to wish BIG and get ready for a BIG holiday. Get it? Yeah, I don't either.

So I went in for an "open call" last night that pretty much consisted of a brief interview and then getting measured and having my picture taken. The gig is next week, so I'll let you know what happens.

But now I can say things like, "Oh, I hope I get that Sears gig." Which I think is hilarious.

10 comments:

Scott said...

Hey, at least you're not Goofy. And even if you were, at least it's Disney. And hey, most of those guys were tall, and improvisers (Vince Vaughn... I'm looking in your direction...). In fact, I wish Vince Vaughn didn't improvise at all, because I'm sick of hearing about how good he is at it (at least in the film acting sense). Seriously.

- Scott

Anonymous said...

They're probably going to make you dress up like the Sears tower or something. That would be awesome.

keri

Anonymous said...

I say start your own improv show starring tall people only. How about Ryan what's his name on "Who's Line Is It Anyway?". He's statuesque like you and very funny too. You have star quality Tim, don't sell yourself short. :) Hey I made a funny. Good luck with the Sears thing!

m-i-l B

Rob said...

You know what else I find entertaining about your height? The fact that you hit on my girlfriend. She's barely 5 foot, and you're barely human. I have yet to rule out the possiblity that you're from another planet... some freakishly tall alien race.

Scott said...

Stiles. Ryan Stiles.

Anonymous said...

ryan stiles....the tall funny man with AWESOME shoes....love it!!!

tara d. said...

rob, are you picking on my roombo? be careful, son. be careful. these streets turn a chicago girl crazy.

secondly, i truly have never heard of anyone not getting cast here because they're too tall. never. only the opposite. in addition, there really is an improv show here called "lanky", full of tall, slender dudes. fun.

i had a huge crush on ryan stiles in the early 90s.

raph said...

damnit. scott beat me to the swingers quote lol.

g'job timmay, lemme know when it is!

Anonymous said...

best of luck BUDDY

Anonymous said...

p.s.
that was from hot sauce

^^;;