11.20.2005

TV Guido

Loyal readers may remember my excitement over possibly landing the near-mythical "Sears gig." (Remember that? Three posts ago? Thanks for sticking around, loyal reader.) Well, disappointingly, they scheduled the promo for Thanksgiving morning to coincide with the parade and I will certainly not stick around Chi-town on Thanksgiving just to pass out Sears coupon books and be pimped for my height. No sir.

But since I went out for that open call, I've been added to the distribution list of the company that staffs all of these crazy things. And on Thursday, I actually participated. I chose a great day, as Thursday was one of the coldest days of the season so far, so what better day to stand on street corners and pass out stuff?

It was a TV Guide promotion, so we were passing out 3-D glasses for Monday's special 3-D episode of Medium, as well as coupons for TV Guide subscriptions. Not surprisingly, people were much more interested in the glasses.

I was paired up with a very cool girl named Lyndsay (yes, that's how she spells her name. I checked.) who, coincidentally (not really) is also an improviser, so we had a pretty decent time trying to stay warm. She at least made things fun and helped the day go by faster. It's funny the things that come out of your mouth when you say the same things over and over for hours. And also when your mouth gets frozen shut.

Things we were supposed to say:
  • The New TV Guide is big - get 4 free issues with your trial subscription!
  • Your 3-D glasses for a special episode of NBC's Medium - a special gift from the new BIG TV Guide!
Things we actually said:

Lyndsay: Hey! Watch TV!

Tim: Get your 3-D glasses here! Only with them will Emmy-winner Patricia Arquette actually show some depth! Ha ha! Get it?!

L: Psychic investigations in the third dimension! See what she sees! (to Tim) That's ghosts, right? (to universe at large) See ghosts in 3-D!

T: Get four frissues of the new BIG TV Guide!
L: Frissues?
T: Yeah, that's a new combo term I just invented. Means "free issues." Get four frissues here!

Creepy guy with food on his face: Hey, are you an actor?
Lyndsay: Uh...yes.
Guy: Gotcha!

(This worried us for a little while because we were warned that the client would be sneakily auditing us and trying to catch us saying things that weren't in our script. But then we just decided it was a creepy guy with food on his face.)

Business guy: Oh, I love that show. It's so great to have a show with a female lead that's not some dumb model.
L: Yeah, she's a great psychic lady.

L: Get your three free-D glasses here!
T: You know, that's not technically wrong.

At least two old people berated us for the changes in the new TV Guide, because people who pass out stuff on the street corner obviously have a direct conduit to the decision-makers. But, just in case there are any TV Guide higher-ups reading this, you need to put things in Central Time Zone, because people here haven't learned how to subtract an hour. Also, something about cooking shows and movies from 6 AM to noon. There, now get on it! The public has spoken!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim! On the left coast things start like four hours after the rest of America has had their entertainment for the night. And you're hilarious. And, I'll see you soon?

Anonymous said...

4 hrs? how odd...that would put you in the middle of the ocean...lol.

as for these 3D glasses....i can't believe how many people want them...it is like some new technology came out and everyone is racing to get it. on my way to work this morning, i was listening to the radio and they were discussing how they could get their hands on these glasses. they sent some poor intern the whole way down the coast to get some....after calling and harassing numerous production offices to find out where they were.

and here is my question for tv guide: why only one pair of glasses per issue? do they expect families to take turns looking through the glasses? that would be a funny sight now that i think about it....

Scott said...

Does this "Lyndsay" read your blog? Because I'm about to be honest about her name. It combines what I consider to be the "hot" spelling of Lindsey, with the dumb one "Lyndsey" so I daresay is this girl dumb and hot? If so, the trifecta of Dumb, Hot, and giving away free items will quite possibly triple the size of the Medium audience.

So... you're looking at like 250 people here. Well done.

- Scott

Rob said...

One time, Ian Breden and I had to ring bells infront of Shop n Save for a long long time and entertained ourselves by trying to make songs with our bells.... we had 4 bells for the two of us... I don't remember how or why. Take my word for it, there was a LOT of ringing done that day.

Timmy Tapeworm said...

You know you'll see me soon, Anonymous. You crazy girl/guy.

j fi - it's awful the way people abuse interns, isn't it? I can tell you that if anyone in the Chicagoland area wanted glasses and didn't have them, it's because they weren't paying attention while they were walking.

Scotty - Lyndsay is actually quite attractive and intellegent as well. So as usual, you are half right and half offensive.

Rob - I did the same thing with Scott Evans once. Music nerds + repetitive bell ringing = hilarious.

Mom F - Tell me about it. I don't know why anyone would subscribe to TV Guide anymore, with TV listings being so easily accessible online, plus people have TiVo and onscreen cable listings. I think it's the main reason TV Guide switched to their new, BIG, People Mag-esque format.

Actually, wait. I do know who still subscribes to TV Guide. Old people. And they're ticked about the changes.

Anonymous said...

what accent? and thanks for watching...i am glad you thought it was funny. you're pretty much the ultimate test. and just so you know all the lines were improvised for the most part (luke and jay guided with the questions of course). you should comment on my xanga more often because then i remember you exist and that you have a blog and that i laugh when i read it. anyway...perhaps i'll see you over the holidays...or i hope so, even though your family is freakin selling out on jville...assholes.
LOVE,
Mattie

Scott said...

Mattie, I watched that too. I just thought about how hard it must be for you to live so very far away from me. Also I was scared that that's just what you talk like now that you live in Nashville. Glad to hear you were doing it on purpose. Pretty good flick as well. Now I can say I have friends who make indie films. Although I should treat you all to Indiania Bones and The Sandals of Doom sometime. It's quality low budg film making... by Scott Gresham circa 6th grade.

Anyway that isn't the point of this comment. The point is that it has now been 10 day since your last post. 10. That's 1/4th as long as it was raining on Noah. That's longer than the time it takes to watch all the Lord of the Rings movies if you watch an hour of one each day. Come on! I know you have post ideas. A certain cookie jar perhaps...?

I'm just saying get with the program son. Post. Even a crappy one will do. In fact, I think I'll sing:

I closed my eyes, drew back the curtain
To read for certain what I thought I knew
Far far away, someone was blogging
But Tapeworm was sleeping
Any post will do

I read your post, with golden lining
Bright call backs shining, wonderful and new
And in the North, the dawn was breaking
And Chi-town was waking
Any post will do.

-------------------

Wow, that was frooty. You could at least make fun of it. Now post.

- Scott