2.28.2006

Peculiar results

Big props to The Peculiar Suspects who, Sunday night at Battleprov, not only won their first half ever but ended up winning the whole darn thing. (In BattleProv, two teams battle in the first half. The winning team plays the defending champions in the second half. Also, I'm a member of The Peculiar Suspects.)

While I did get a brown bag foul for saying the word "arse" on stage, believe me when I say that it was by far the softest brown bag of the night. And I maintain that I said it in "The Crucible" in front of a whole auditorium of junior highers, so therefore it's not really dirty.

(We were playing "What Are You Doing?" and we got the initials IA and I inexplicably chose to be "initialing my arse." Yeah, don't ask me what that means. I should probably stop watching British television. Thanks a lot, The IT Crowd.)

I also played a fun character during "Good, Bad, Worst Advice" called Luke "The Fist" Schell. Yep, that's a J-ville shout-out to be sure. Most of the names I use on stage are people I went to high school with. Hope that's okay. Anyway, this guy was the founder and head instructor of "Luke's House of Ninja" and knew nothing about the ninja philosophy but promised his students they'd gain ability to teleport and control animals with their mind. He also punctuated every answer with the exclamation "NINJA!" It was super fun.

Finally, in the game "Last Action Joke," the Bill Cosby impression was whipped out when I had to kill someone with Jello. Tara has told me this is pretty standard and not the mind-blowing creativity that I thought it was, but whatever, my Bill Cosby is better than yours.

Obviously, I'm focusing on my accomplishments because I'm a self-centered jerk, but needless to say, the Peculiar Suspects were all at the top of their games. Scott, Cynthia, and Chris had an awesome game of "Sing It"
for which I can claim absolutely no credit and we had a running bit throughout the show about a battle for the captaincy. We switched three times, which we think may be a record. All in all, a great show all-around.

The irony is that BattleProv is switching formats and the champion no longer returns the next week to defend their title. But in my mind, that makes us the champions for all time. And that's pretty freaking great.

6 comments:

tara d. said...

oh no! hold up, wait a minute! lest i sound like a jaded jerko, i think what i actually said was simply "standard!", when you said you did a cosby bit on the c-spo stage. the home show-ers do cosby anytime anyone mentions pudding for 5 things, get him a lot for a celeb suggestions, and some ref - i don't remember who, used to make the teams face off by doing their best cosby imitation to win the coin toss.

my cosby there is as follows...

If allowed to speak english:

"Puddin'popWhatchoogottadooo,seee, Ohnotherecord'sshowing, CAMILLE!"
Visual:Jazz dance, arms tucked to sides, eye roll

If allowed to only gibberish:
"MimminiemipPibbityPipTipTamp
Visual: Jazz dance, arms tucked to sides, eye roll

I'm glad you're having a good time with BattleProv. It's about time Chitown CSz had a farm team - it's the coolest concept - so many other cities do and it's just so great to get hands-on experience.

Scott said...

Yeah I will say I was pretty much on fire when it came to "Sing It." When you're right you're right Timmy. Although I wonder how much Ask a NinJA! influenced your take on Luke "The Fist" Schell. That man is wacky. For more ridiculous ideas of ninjanery check out: Real Ultimate Power.

Should provide some good source material.

- Scott

"Did you say a plan? I'll put on my slightly larger glasses."

Scott said...

Oh and Tara, there is NO impression that cannot benefit from jazz dance.

- Scott

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Scotty, when have you ever had the opportunity to play Sing It? I'm having trouble even visualizing you breaking out into song.

My ninja character was basically an amalgam of all Internet ninja humor, including Dr. McNinja, filtered through the Rex Kwon Do attitude from Napoleon Dynamite. I've only seen one "Ask a Ninja" anyway.

And don't pretend like you're telling me something new by sending me to Real Ultimate Power. I've been making "flip out and kill people" jokes for quite some time. Amateur.

Tara, you're not a jaded jerko. I was being mostly sarcastic when I claimed my Cosby bit was creative. I know he gets pulled out a lot, but me doing Cosbo was a bit of a running gag with DICEY, so I thought they would be glad to know the tradition is still alive.

And your Cosbo sounds pretty great too.

Proud to be in C-spo Triple A,
Tim


"Would it blow everyone's mind if I ate dessert first?"

Scott said...

I believe you are wrong on several counts.

1.) You specifically mentioned my awesome work alongside Cynthia and Chris during "Sing It."

2.) If you've been making "flip out and kill people" references they've been entirely forgettable. Perhaps if the presentation were a bit less hackish, I would have remembered.

3.) You should definitely commit every last Ask A NinJA! to memory. It's surprisingly useful in everyday conversation.

- Scott

"Just water; sometimes I get a 'hot ear' and this helps cool it down. But she is quite the oddball."

Anonymous said...

fun stuff...makes me miss doing improv nights in college which i'm sure weren't nearly as good...but fun nonetheless.