2.21.2006

A time for change

This picture has been circulating around a few of the Jerseyville kids' blogs, so I thought I'd join the club and share:


It makes me kind of strangely sad to see the old gym in the process of being demolished. Not that I had a ton of great memories of the gym (the ones I do involve pep band), but I know that the Fine Arts wing is either already gone or will be soon, and that's sad for sure.

It's strange that the loss of a physical space causes these emotions. I'm going through the same thing with the sale of the Jerseyville house. It's not like I spend a lot of time at either place or even visit more than once or twice a year for that matter. And it's not like I'll lose all the memories I have of these places once they're demolished or owned by someone else.

But it's still sad - to think that the old auditorium that was the site of so many plays, musicals, and variety shows has seen its last curtain fall...that no one will order pizza or Carl Budding ham and spend their lunch period rehearsing show choir or jazz band in the same place we used to...and that someone else will be growing up in the room I grew up in...

There should probably be some famous, well-intentioned quote here to put everything in perspective and end this post on a positive note. But there's not. Life changes and things that you love slip away and it's hard. But we keep our respective chins up and hope that the future will be better than our nostalgic view of the past.

8 comments:

Jake said...

"Sentiment is for losers."

Josh said...

What a sissy.

Anonymous said...

tough crowd here...man!! my comment doesn't include you being a sissy, loser or wuss (not this time anyway). i wanted to say i totally understand what you mean. about a week and a half ago my parents sold the house i lived in since i was nine**. i never really felt attached to that house, but for some reason it is sad to me now. the things in life that have been constant or stable for such a period of time, no matter how little they mattered to our daily well being always shake us in some way because deep down, we all gain our supoort from the constant. yes, change is inevitable, but human nature just seems to struggle with change in general. so what you said in no way suggests being a wuss, it expresses being human and and teasing you at this juncture just doesn't seem right.

**the interesting thing about it is that it was bought by two actors who work at sight and sound, a big christian theatre at home. she is known for her role as the virgin mary and he is known for playing jesus so if my parents had to sell the house, mary and jesus are probably as good as it is going ot get, don't you think?

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Thanks, j fi. I guess the males around here are just interested in being stereotypically emotionless. And Jacob is just interested in being a knob, as usual.

Anonymous said...

Tim, You are making me sad too. We will always treasure the great memories from the J'ville house; we'll just carry them in our hearts. Mom
P.S. The fine arts wing still stands. They are taking down the big gym on one end and the cafeteria on the other end.

Rob said...

I agree with Josh.

Jake said...

Oh Tim, you and your hip pseudo-British vulgar slang.

Jon said...

with the debris in the way, it looks like your high school is the "home of the Pant...s" The Pants. That's wonderful.