2.15.2006

Thanks a lot, Ricky Gervais

I've already mentioned this to a couple people, but I thought I'd share it with everyone just to see if I'm alone in this or if other people have shared my experience.

Last week, I caught a killer cold that knocked me out for the later part of the week. So I was just hanging around, not doing much of anything except watching movies. Luckily, my awesome roommate Tara D provided me with the entire run of The Office to ease my sickly pain.

Now, we're of course talking about the original British version here, which is just about as brilliant as you've heard it is. Thankfully, they have a glossary of "Slough Slang" so us Yanks can understand all the Britishisms they say. (Slough is the city in which the show is set. It's like England's version of Scranton, or vice-versa, to be accurate.)

So immersing myself in a few hours of lovely British humour, as well as all the bonus materials, has had an interesting effect:

All of my internal thoughts are now in a British accent.

It should probably scare me that I have so little sense of self that my internal monologue is that easily swayed, but I must admit I find it quite delightful. Although I worry that it will translate into speech, as it did when I meant to say, "...that guy and his friend" and ended up saying "...that guy and his mate."

Does this happen to anyone else, or just this guy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i mentioned it in my email, but it totally happens to me. best example, when we were doing scene studies from the importance of being earnest, but as you said, it is a delightful experience to say the least.

Anonymous said...

You know, there was a period right after the release of the first Family Guy DVD set where I would take entire tests in Stewie's voice.
For example:
"Well, I suppose it could be C. I remember Lois once talking about psudoehpedrine causing hypertension. No. I'm changing it to B. My eraser just smeared my Scantron! BLAST YOU VILE WOMAN AND YOUR PHARMACEUTICAL TREACHERY! Why do I sound like Rex Harrison? I'm from Iowa."

So yeah. Your not alone. Feel better, yo.
AM

Scott said...

Yeah it happened to me too. In fact sometimes when I'm in City of Heroes I can't help but type something in Brit Slang. Usually I'll just let people believe what they want. But after watching the British version of the Office and the Harry Potter Audio Books (listen to those for a week and see if you're not so English your teeth start screwing themselves up) I can definitely relate.

I have an Irish friend whom I talk to quite a bit on the internet and we have a running game where I try to determine if a strange word in a sentence is just a typo or strange foreign slang. It's pretty fun.

- Scott

P.S. Bastard, how DARE you steal my sick post!