1.30.2006

Free to be...you and MeTV

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a new favorite TV channel. And I share it with a bunch of really old people.

There's a channel here in Chicago called MeTV - it stands for Memorable Entertainment Television. It plays classic TV and it. is. fantastic.

Take last night, for example. I had just finished rewatching MST3K: The Movie (it's amazing how a movie that you can pretty much recite from memory can still make you laugh so much) and just kept the TV on while I played some computer games. I happened to catch MeTV's Sunday Nite Black & White - featuring "The Phil Silvers Show" (the original Sgt. Bilko), "The Honeymooners" (Ralph really did threaten spousal abuse quite a bit), and a couple of episodes of the original "Twilight Zone," one featuring a young William Shatner. Boy, can that guy act. And boy, can that Rod Serling narrate.

I think Rod Serling and Morgan Freeman should have a cage-match narrate-off.

Today, I've already caught "Who's the Boss" (boy, that Mona is boy-crazy), "The Brady Bunch" (I never noticed how much my mom looked like Mrs. Brady. That's weird), and now I'm rocking some "Good Times" (poverty is hilarious!). And the piece de resistance - "Family Ties" and "Batman" are coming up.

Man, this station's got everything - "Get Smart," "Mary Tyler Moore," "Bob Newhart," westerns like "Gunsmoke," "Diff'rent Strokes," and so much more.

A bunch of nursing home residents and this kid are in TV heaven.


This post now holds the World Record for most parenthetical clauses per sentence in a Blogger post - 2006.

4 comments:

C_thegreat said...

Ahhh Alex P. Keaton and the beginings of my Republican lean. Family Ties was on reruns a few summers ago on network, I spent far too much time on that one.

I like to think that you were including "Diff'rent Strokes" in with the Westerns. So much better that way.

Narrate-off, that's hilarious. You gave me a nice laugh out loud moment.
Throw William Shatner in there too, as long as he's part of this post, Rescue 911, anyone? Heck ya, that man can lead a story!

Thanks for the props on the photo album. You can order a print for four easy installments of just $59.99. But I'll sign them and you can sell them on ebay. Trust me, I'll be that famous someday... ha... ha... ha.

~c

Scott said...

DAMN IT CORIE!


Not having read your post mine was going to be:

"Ah yes, the great western: Diff'rent Strokes."

But not anymore baby!

- Scott

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Oh, that grammar. It's a rascal.

And besides, outlaws and orphans are both on the fringes of society. Diff'rent Strokes was like an urban western. With Dana Plato.

Rob said...

Get Smart was always one of my favorites. In what other show would you find a inflatable horse that could kill you (it was a gun in disguise), a knockout gas horoscope book, Anti-Pro-Anti-Sodium Calcium Chloride, AND A Shoe Phone!!! it's great.