3.27.2006

Round here...we always stand up straight (and hit our heads on stuff)

This post is dedicated to the Counting Crows' album August and Everything After, a pure gem from the 90's that I used to listen to on cassette. My cool Aunt Molly made me a copy and I listened to it incessantly. This was long before I had achieved any kind of pop culture awareness, so I have her to thank for the fact that I can pretty much sing along to the entire album.

Tara and I were enjoying the album in the living room this evening and we both agreed that the number of hit singles off this album is staggering, perhaps only beaten by Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill. (Six singles off that record. SIX!)

Anyway, I was helping Tara run some lines for her Second City gig this week. All the scenes are pulled from the SC archive, so the lines she was reading in one scene were originally spoken by Tina Fey. A little overwhelming, but I just tried to concentrate and cover the five parts that were my responsibility. I really think I nailed Kevin Dorff's performance. Pretty proud about that. The other four - eh, not so much.

But you know what else I'm proud about? A certain little place on the intar wubs where my lovely face can be seen. How about that, kids who used to tease me on the playground?

3 comments:

Scott said...

Nice work. Kevin Dorff huh? You're truly replacing a household name. I kid. He's no less than 7/15ths less anonymous than Leno's writers, that's for sure. Although I don't think anyone actually makes comparisons against Leno writers, so it's hard to come by solid numbers.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. And if you're not too busy before the show on Friday at 10:30 at ComedySportz (why do I know all this... no reason...) could you tell Molly Hale that she is now my visual for the TMBG song "Bangs"?

Thanks in advance.

- Scott

C_thegreat said...

Remember when we were young and had such a small rotation of music?
Unfortunately mine were Spice Girls "SPICE" and "Disco Dance Hits" oh and Jewel's "Pieces of You" which was killer. Those (besides about 30 of my mom's oldies CD's) are what I memorized.
I was thinking about mix tapes a few days ago, I was going to post about it, but then I got too tired, maybe later.
Tapes flat out rock.

~c

Anonymous said...

man...the golden days of tapes. i remember my first tape...it was pray for rain's album (later know just as pfr) i used to love that tape. back then i barely listened to music (too busy learning o play it)..the naivety of youth.