3.14.2006

The week that was

Okay, I suppose I've left you hanging long enough.

Have you ever had a week where the stars aligned and everything you were waiting for just kind of...happened?

Because I just did.

First of all, the rumors are true. I actually got a job. And not a bad one, at that. I start next Monday at a Marketing firm called Euro RSCG. It's a global company with something like 233 offices in 70 countries, so not exactly the kind of boutique firm I thought I'd end up in, but that's okay.

My official title is "Account Coordinator" and I'll basically be doing support work for a team that works exclusively with Sprint. A lot of entry-level type work like working with financials - billable hours and budgets and stuff - and then a lot of random stuff like booking travel and helping with presentations. Not the most glamorous of work, but it's a foot in the door and it's a salary and benefits and all that good stuff.

Plus, it's right downtown at Wabash and Grand, so I hop on the Red Line and ride 15 minutes to work. Much better than driving an hour each way to the suburbs.

But that, of course, is just my day job.

Last week, I had an audition and a callback for ComedySportz and on Thursday, I was asked to join the ensemble. This means I'm now one of the very few Chicago improvisers who will actually be paid to perform improv comedy.

Does this mean I'm a professional comedian?

You're friggin' right it does.

At least, that's the way I'm looking at it.

Ever since I interned at ComedySportz a couple summers ago and took their intro class, I knew I had to figure out some way to be around this amazing group of people again. So I guess you can say I've been dreaming about rejoining this family for a while now. I'm kind of surprised that it happened so quickly, but I could not be happier or more excited about it. So...yeah. Take that, improv!

I have a lot more to talk about, including auctioning off my entire childhood and saying goodbye to Jerseyville, but I'll leave that for another day.

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't thank everyone for their thoughts, support and prayers throughout this whole process. Things do work out for the best, I think, and I give you guys quite a bit of the credit.

Life is most definitely great.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats dude. talk about freaking sweet!

Travis said...

in the words of some scenish hipsteresque person: aces. I knew that bird gig would get things going for you.

Scott said...

Money. That's what it is. Both in the Swingers sense and in the traditional, them giving it to you sense. Congratulations. I see this as the first step in a long campaign of professional comedy. Much like when Ender entered the Battle school. Except where he was killing Bonzo, you will be killing audiences. Hopefully.

Anyway, good work.

- Scott

Jake said...

For me to say that "you deserved it" would imply that I believed in some sort of objective moral standard that influences the inner-workings of humanity in positive or negative ways, and that you in turn have lived in a way as to warrant such positive influence in the form of awesome jobs. On general principle I cannot say this. But, nevertheless, congratulations Tim. And if there were an objective moral standard, I think it would be pleased. Yes, this is as close as I can get to a personal compliment.