3.31.2006

Friday catch-up

Quick update before I get busy here - someone just handed me my first paycheck. Holy cow, having a day job just got awesome.

Secondly, I know I don't have many readers who also have day jobs, but if you're ever sitting at a computer for long stretches of time, this reporter heartily endorses ListenToAMovie.com. Seriously, who ever thought listening to the audio track of a movie could be so enjoyable? They have a pretty impressive collection too. I listened to "Garden State" yesterday. Take that, haters.

When not listening to movies, I like to explore my coworker's "Shared Music" collection. One guy has over 11,000 songs. I have been put in my place, friends. I also am enjoying Internet Radio, particularly Indie Pop Rocks on Soma FM. I haven't tried their "Secret Agent" station yet, but I hear it's pretty good.

Boy, Arctic Monkeys sure are getting a lot of buzz for being basically The Strokes Redux (UK), but I'll be darned if "I Bet You Look Good On the Dance Floor" isn't the catchiest thing on both sides of the Atlantic.

First ComedySportz show tonight. Let's get pumped, everybody.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck tonight. Remember to picture the audience in their underwear and you won't be nervous. So glad things are going well for you with the job and all.

B

Anonymous said...

First of all, haters? of Garden State? what a sad world we now live in...Garden State is awesome.

Secondly, good luck tonight even though i doubt you'll need it.

Scott said...

First of all, that site IS awesome. I was listening to iPod commentary on a movie, and I didn't want to rent and watch a movie because I was already playing a game. So I hit it up, and it solved all my problems. You know now that I think on it, sometimes I like to have TOO much entertainment going on at once.

Anyway, I prefer the mashup of Last.fm and Pandora. Both of which are great services for free internet music. Combined they're just frigging amazing. Pandora is especially cool as it figures out what your "musical genome" is based on songs/artists you like and then reccomends similar songs based on an algorithm monitoring song length, bps, genre, instrumentation, and so on. It's really very effective.

Finally, I like the Arctic Monkeys solely because they came to prominence via the interwebs. Had they done it a more traditional route, I would be less impressed. But, that coupled with the damned infectious "Dance Floor" is enough.

So, tonight at 10:30 at ComedySportz in Chicago? Good luck.

- Scott

Anonymous said...

I rarely ever actually sit down to watch a movie, unless I see it in theatre. Most of the time I turn it on and listen while I'm doing other things. It's almost as good as books on cd, haha. I didn't know that there was a website devoted to it though.


Keri

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Tell me about it, j fi. I don't think I've met a single member of our generation who didn't at least have a passing appreciation for Garden State. Then a girl in my improv troupe looks at my profile on MySpace and tells me she hates it. And I think she has pretty good taste in culture, so...there you go.

So technically it should have read, "Take that, hater" or even more specifically, "Take that, Irene" but I just thought I'd be general.

Hey, you should check out www.janeespenson.com. She's a great TV writer who is one of Joss Whedon's go-to staffers. She's been doing a pretty killer blog after writing for TV and spec scripts and all that. And I know that you are more of a features girl, but I thought you might find it interesting because she talks a lot about dialogue and characterization and such.

B, thanks for the advice. Scott, thanks for the advice. I'm checking out Pandora and it seems cool. Keri, when you say "turn it on," you really mean Lord of the Rings, because you don't watch other movies.

Anonymous said...

thanks tim! that is a good site. i know we haven't discussed this, but i actually have a much larger interest in television writing (i took an awesome intro to tv writing during college) than in feature writing...i know i am writing a feature and it is thus deceiving, but i think tv writing overall is awesomer (yes, i know that word isn't really a word...oh well)