8.19.2005

A lighter?

I don't know what it is about my current social life that keeps putting me around kids who shout hilarious things, but it happened again tonight. I was at a cookout with Josh and Allyn with some of their friends (because most of my social life is in fact vicarious) and I was playing ladder golf with a bunch of kids.

One of these kids was a small child with a toy gun (which Josh and were never allowed to play with as kids - I cite this as the main reason why I am now so weak-willed and afraid of conflict) and he was of course firing it every which way. It was one of those toy revolvers that don't really shoot anything, but just makes clicking noises. So he's click-clicking away and all of a sudden he yells,

"WHEN I SHOOT...YOU...YOU GUYS GO!" *pause* *click*

We were already in the midst of our game, so I don't really know what he was trying to signal the start of. But it gets better. A little while later, he yells,

"LOOK OUT, I'M GONNA SHOOT THE DOG!!"

I suppose this should be alarming behavior, but he was really cute about it, so we didn't take it as a red flag. Until, not a second later, this escapes his mouth:

"SOMEONE GET ME A LIGHTER!!"

Now, as to why a lighter is necessary for the operation of the gun, your guess is as good as mine. I suppose he might have been pretending the gun was a can of hair spray and was ready to make a homemade flamethrower, but that seems like a stretch for a little kid. All I know was I was laughing so hard, I had to skip my next throw. Man, kids are hilarious.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Was he perhaps shooting a flintlock musket? The kind with a gunpowder pan that you have to light to actually fire the gun? Because that would definitely require the lighter. How he came to know that is beyond me though, those kids and their interweb...

You know maybe you should start an Overheard in New York style site. Maybe call it Overheard in Grade School. Or Kids Say The Darndest Things That I Overhear. The name needs work, the idea? Gold.

- Scott

Scott said...

I just noticed a pattern. Spammers only hit after you have a comment. Look at the times. What bastards. Not only do they infest our blogs, they totally shun the lesser blogs with no comments. Bastards!

Rob said...

I know why he wanted a lighter. He saw this video: http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/1601090/