10.20.2005

Decembers in October

I recovered enough from my case of the bird flu to go to a show at The Metro last night. Every day that goes by, I realize just what a great location I'm in. The fact that I can walk 10-15 minutes up Clark St. and be at one of the best music venues in town is super sweet.

Boy, Chicago sure is different than Jerseyville, huh? Am I right or am I right? Hey-oh!

Sidenote: Speaking of my location, I met the proprietors of Swan Cleaners (directly beneath my apartment, for those of you with short memories) and had them clean my new Salvation Army suit jacket. Definitely Asian and definitely the nicest couple ever. Mr. Wu even knocked a quarter off the price for me. (At least I think he did. When I went to pick it up, he said, "Okay, one jacket - $4.75...ah, $4.50. Maybe he just forgot or something. I like to think he gave me a break 'cause we're buds.) And he always smiles and waves when I walk by. It's awesome.

Anyway, let's talk about the show. The opener was Cass McCombs. As you might guess from their worthless incomprehensible shell of a website, they are awful. Three people, sitting down, playing sugary-soft NPR folk music. Maybe in another venue, they would be better, but last night about four songs into their set, I said, "Hey, remember when people were listening to you? Remember that? That was great." If you're playing The Metro and you're getting drowned out by conversation, you need to stop.

But The Decemberists? Wow. Amazing. Just a fantastically musical, fantastically weird show. It was pretty difficult to put into words, so I'll just say this. On their last song, the rhythm guitarist (dressed in Soviet Union army uniform, complete with hat) and the drummer (eerily reminiscent of Mr. Fester, the old A/V teacher at my high school) paraded through the crowd, one with bass drum, one with monkey cymbals, both with long, black Rasputin beards.

It was that kind of show.

Next week promises shows that will be much less silly, but most likely as good. Nickel Creek on Wednesday and Eisley/Switchfoot on Thursday, both at The Vic, which is literally three blocks south. Love it.

Comment fodder: weirdest concert you've ever seen. Ready...go!

P.S. And I'm not even sure this one qualified as the weirdest concert I've ever seen. Remind me sometime to tell you about the time I saw the Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players. Yowza.

14 comments:

tara d. said...

ooh, i wanna go... nickel creek on wednesday... hmm. i like it.

sad to say that i don't think that i have seen many weird concerts. i have horrible first concerts, though - my first concert was al "some walk byyyy nigggght" jarreau, and my second was NKOTB, right before the craze - sixth row, y'all! i'm sure donnie was smiling at meeeee.

needless to say, my music taste has gotten way better.

now... where's that gerardo cd?

Scott said...

I was narrowly beaten out at the Five Iron Concert for official heckler. They crowned someone with the title and he proceeded to buckle under the pressure. Baah, I could have heckled them what for!

One of my more recent concert hecklings was when I went to see CAKE in Cham-banna, their opener Gomez was complaning (as all bands visiting the Mid-West do) that the crowd was pretty still. It's true, we don't move, or jump, or give any sign of enjoyment until either we know a song, or it's the headliner.

So Gomez started complaining about it. he lead singer (who looks a bit like Jack Osbourne) came on and said "Come on, Gomez always gets the crowd moving" in my best heckler voice I shouted "Yeah, OUT THE EXITS!" just at the right time to coincide with a lull. It was booming and fantastic.

Also, Tim, if you aren't busy (and it seems you aren't in the least...) I might need you to take a look at a backpack for me. But that's a story for another time.

- Scott

tara d. said...

scotty, i hope you come heckle thisss, because i'll punch you in the mouf'. (but heckling for bits is fun.)

ryde-it, wait a minute, you added something - i LOVE the tractenburg family slide show players! they used to be on conan sometimes... one of the weirdest best ideas EVER!

we are compats.
compats!

Scott said...

If I didn't know better...

Have you guys eloped? Because trust me, it's awesome.

C_thegreat said...

Teddy Bear Band.
Not all that weird until you hit about 15 and then your parents pull out the VHS of theirs...

1st Punic War. It wasn't even a concert. It was three songs in the basement of Meredith. Sooo creepy.
"You should try morphine for that"
"No, seriously, if you ever want to hear the story about my 'wee-wee' just let me know."
That guy was...
weird...

~c

Travis said...

I dont know who they were, but they played in Des Moines, they had a banjo, and something about
"all the children are dying." Dont know. Speaking of concerts, I'm going to Iron & Wine tomorrow night, should be fun.

tara d. said...

iron and wine - yeah. nice.

scott, i knew you were taken... so i had to settle on timberella.

we're having a small ceremony & reception for bloggers next week.

Anonymous said...

Relient K: the early years.

Crazy times.

I joke, of course. Not about seeing Relient K (they made fairly regular Frank's appearances), but they were neither crazy nor particularly good.

Sorry Tim, I'll use any excuse to get a in a Relient K dig.


Yeti on a Budget!

I'm a retard
In a room
Full of
Bouncy Balls

I have a kitty and his name is Cole Slaw
No one likes to touch him cause he smells like poopy.


^Yeti on a Budget.


-K

Anonymous said...

Weirdest concert that I've been to, eh Tim? (Insert mental image of rectangular Tim with shifty triangle eyes)
Well, it has got to be jazz trumpet legend Maynard Ferguson. Maynard was prowling around the stage and crowd in his leisure suit, complete with half-unbuttoned shirt, giant lapels, gold medalions, and white chest hair. He forgets that it is not the early 70s... and that he is in his early 70s. Maynard Ferguson is notorious for being very jealous of people in his band (ie firing them for upstaging him at shows). So everytime someone improvised a solo section, he went to shake their hand and I only naturally could assume that Maynard was breaking their fingers. This joke was made ad nauseum throughout the show by two giant band geeks. Me and my friend, Aaron.
OK, so not that weird, but funny. To me.
AM

Scott said...

Well well, Abbacus Manhattan, we have something in common. I too have been warped by a Maynard Ferguson concert. It was at the end of Jazz in the Ghettos (Meadows), which is the Rolling Meadows high school Jazz consortium... thing that happens every year.

He stumbled onto the stage, clearly drunk. Played a bit, joked about being drunk (to high school students), at one point he had a clearly staged "It's great to be playing here in..." *looks around auditorium, sees giant banner* *pause* "Rolling Meadows" moment. All in all, heckle worthy.

- Scott

Rob said...

Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players? Never heard of them. The Boehmer Family of Jugglers? Now that's an act worth talking about. Holly Boehmer... so hot. I hear there were actually a few kids in that family and they juggled or something. I never paid attention to anyone else really.

Jake said...

They were also laughably strict Catholics. Oh, those poor bastards.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to post on this one! I've been to a concert where the guys were dressed in revoluntionary clothes and the lead singer, he was so coooool, had a pony tail and wore a three cornered hat! The crowd went wild when they sang their most popular song, "Hungry!" Paul Revere and the Raiders! Wahoo! It was the greatest..... Then there was the group who performed before them who wore Arab robes and danced across the stage in unison, Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs! You just don't get that kind of music experience any more. Now that was music to dance to!

Timmy Tapeworm said...

Oh yeah! Welcome m-i-l b! It took me the longest time to figure out who you were, but the name, combined with the era of music you referenced, gave it away. Good to hear from you.

Thanks for the stories, everyone. Music, huh? Crazy.